SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so thinking about getting a2021 xc60 for the wife but I have one concern.

My understanding is that remote start only works through the app is this correct?

Assuming that is correct we actually live in a location where there is basically little to no cell coverage, and have a vacation home at a ski area were there really is NO cell coverage.

So will the remote start work with out cell coverage, sorry to be stupid but can the car see the phone with out going through the cell if they are close by?

If not is it possible for the car to link to the house WiFi and for the app to connect to it this route?

Thanks

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
549 Posts
So, your understanding is correct. In its current form, you need some kind of cell coverage for remote functions to work.

In the next gen (Android) based cars, you will be able to use bluetooth to start etc... But not in the '21 XC60.

You *Could* get a microcell if you have ATT or similar carrier. This basically makes a small cell phone tower that links on your WiFi.

Unfortunately, this is a crummy answer for your situation...

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why they felt there was no value in keeping the key version available. The cell app is fine and has some advantages, but if I could only have one, I'd rather have a key based system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and yes this is what I was afraid of, guess it is up to the wife if she is willing to give up remote start or not.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So, your understanding is correct. In its current form, you need some kind of cell coverage for remote functions to work.

In the next gen (Android) based cars, you will be able to use bluetooth to start etc... But not in the '21 XC60.

You Could get a microcell if you have ATT or similar carrier. This basically makes a small cell phone tower that links on your WiFi.

Unfortunately, this is a crummy answer for your situation...
YOUR IDEA :USE AN ATT MICROCELL. WHERE WOULD U INSTALL IT AT THE CAR OR GARAGE OR HOUSE? I USED TO HAVE ONE THX SOO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY best regards Rich

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
549 Posts
YOUR IDEA :USE AN ATT MICROCELL. WHERE WOULD U INSTALL IT AT THE CAR OR GARAGE OR HOUSE? I USED TO HAVE ONE THX SOO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY best regards Rich
In theory, you install it in your house, it uses your internet connection at the house for the service to ATT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This was probably the biggest disappointment I have had since buying my '20 V60 last summer. It absolutely was not something I researched since I mean remote start is remote start right?? The fact that I can't remote start my car without whipping out my cell phone, waiting for it to login, and clicking a button to remote start was a HUGE disappointment. Yes, it is handy on the phone at times, but when out of cell service area or when you really just wanted to get it running and cooling/warming up as you walk up across the parking lot was a huge bummer that meant I just couldn't push a couple buttons on our key fobs. My wife's GMC can remote start from a very long ways away via the remote. It was nice when we had our initial GMC subscription to use the phone app....but once that subscription expired, we just went back to using the remote. Even when it was new, we used the remote 80% of the time over the phone app.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I live in a fringe cellular coverage area - mostly rural with spotty coverage via Sprint.

I have had a microcell tower for 10 years and most recently upgraded. The device through Sprint and new T-Mo is literally and figuratively free of charge.

You just need to go to or call your carrier customer service - work through the common due diligence efforts with them. Sprint network uses a Casa system. Other networks have their own supported equipment.

I have it in my two story house and it has a ~500’ range.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts