SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so believe it or not some of us still travel to places where there is little or NO cell phone coverage. What I want ie need to know is does the remote start app work if there is no cell coverage. What about if there is no cell service but there is a wi-fi network?

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Recharge T8 R-Design
64 Posts
You would need either cell or wifi service to send the signal through the app to the car.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
And the car would also need to have signal to receive the signal

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the car would also need to have signal to receive the signal

So are you saying if I am at my condo in the mountains where there is NO cell but I do have wi-fi so long as the car and the phone (app) can see the WiFi the remote start will work?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I believe the car will only get the signal via cell,wifi is only available while the car is on. I don't believe Volvo uses Satellite cell so I'm pretty sure it won't work unless your car gets the signal somehow. If I were you I'd hit the on call button in the car and ask them.... Btw if on call works in the mountain area you're in it may work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok so believe it or not some of us still travel to places where there is little or NO cell phone coverage. What I want ie need to know is does the remote start app work if there is no cell coverage. What about if there is no cell service but there is a wi-fi network?

Thanks
No and no. At least that was my experience while I stayed at a place in the mountains.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I think you'd have to be way off the grid. I was in the mountains of West Virginia last weekend with no issues. But again, depends on how far off the grid you were.

I still had LTE coverage it seems like so I probably wasn't far enough out. There are some areas of Michigan's Upper Peninsula I might be far enough out to not have coverage.

This was one of my arguments from years ago when this was first instituted.

The simple solution is to fit an old school remote starter on it. The question is if it's possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you'd have to be way off the grid. I was in the mountains of West Virginia last weekend with no issues. But again, depends on how far off the grid you were.

I still had LTE coverage it seems like so I probably wasn't far enough out. There are some areas of Michigan's Upper Peninsula I might be far enough out to not have coverage.

The simple solution is to fit an old school remote starter on it. The question is if it's possible.
Funny you should mention both of these places. We are in WV and own a place at Snowshoe ( Silvercreek actually) and due to the Greenbank radio observatory there is no cell coverage on our side of the mountain and we are often there in the dead of winter.

The other issue is that my wife IS from the UP of Michigan and were are often there in less than ideal weather times and again no cell coverage there at all where we stay.

But it will be her car 🚗 so her call.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Funny you should mention both of these places. We are in WV and own a place at Snowshoe ( Silvercreek actually) and due to the Greenbank radio observatory there is no cell coverage on our side of the mountain and we are often there in the dead of winter.

The other issue is that my wife IS from the UP of Michigan and were are often there in less than ideal weather times and again no cell coverage there at all where we stay.

We just got back from Tygart Lake where my in laws own some land on one of the mountains around the lake.

The UP trips I used to do where when my daughter went to NMU so we were up there fairly often.

Ironic that Tygart Lake three states away is closer to us than Marquette and it’s still inside Michigan.

If she is torn on the XC60 I would look into what option could happen on an aftermarket remote start for it. Maybe even ask if the dealership itself can do it.

I don’t know the answer to that question and is one of my future issues I will look at.

My complaint a while back was if there is a blackout or cell towers fail then you’re SOL.

That was my complaint. But I got over it.

I’m still going to look into that in the near future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We just got back from Tygart Lake where my in laws own some land on one of the mountains around the lake.

The UP trips I used to do where when my daughter went to NMU so we were up there fairly often.

Ironic that Tygart Lake three states away is closer to us than Marquette and it’s still inside Michigan.

If she is torn on the XC60 I would look into what option could happen on an aftermarket remote start for it. Maybe even ask if the dealership itself can do it.

I don’t know the answer to that question and is one of my future issues I will look at.

My complaint a while back was if there is a blackout or cell towers fail then you’re SOL.

That was my complaint. But I got over it.

I’m still going to look into that in the near future.
I feel your pain on the UP drive we go even further over, to the Eagle River/ Copper Harbor area. I can actually drive to Orlando faster than I can get up there. But I’ve been doing it fo 30+ years and we take way to much outdoor gear to fly, plus flying from nowhere to nowhere is not cheap and a pain.

I will look into an outside remote, if you ever end up doing it please post, as this car purchase is not a have to change so not in a hurry to do it.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
704 Posts

You *could* maybe get the cell extender for ATT and then it should work from your phone's wifi. The ATT extender would be for the car..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks just might be a deal breaker for the wife as this will be her car.
Unfortunately, that's how all the current generation remote start systems work. Basically they sit on top of the existing telematics systems, which are all cellular-based. So that'll be the same issue with pretty much any modern car.

There are a few possible edge-case workarounds? Depending on your specific environment. Highly directional antennas and a cell signal repeater might work? You could also look into getting a pico cell, if that's supported by your cell carrier...

Lastly, if you get a T8, and you have it plugged in, you can schedule in advance climate preconditioning.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60 Momentum T6
153 Posts
My 2015 Lincoln MKC could be remote started using the FOB (no cell service required) or I could use the Lincoln app on my phone to start/stop, lock/unlock doors, etc. When I am at home it is a lot easier/quicker to remote start using the FOB than it is to use the app on the phone. This is one feature I miss on the XC60

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my new Bmw X7 I can start it from the app or use the keyfob. Weird thing is... you can start it through the app from anywhere, but you cant shut it off. It runs for 15 minutes and shuts off if you dont get in. The volvo app is way better than the bmw app, showing each trip, etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unfortunately, that's how all the current generation remote start systems work. Basically they sit on top of the existing telematics systems, which are all cellular-based. So that'll be the same issue with pretty much any modern car.

There are a few possible edge-case workarounds? Depending on your specific environment. Highly directional antennas and a cell signal repeater might work? You could also look into getting a pico cell, if that's supported by your cell carrier...

Lastly, if you get a T8, and you have it plugged in, you can schedule in advance climate preconditioning.
HOW ABOUT A ATT MICROCELL as someone else said BUT isnt the wifi off when the car is off?' And of course Volvo says aftermarket unit cannot be installed

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60 Momentum T6
153 Posts
Speaking from experience, only allowing remote start by using the phone app is ridiculous (and takes much longer). Where I live there are areas (my friend's cottage for example) where there is no cell service and no internet service either so consequently I cannot remote start the car. I don't understand why Volvo doesn't allow remote starting with the FOB. When I had my 2015 Lincoln MKC, I could remote start with the FOB or the phone app....not everyone lives where there is always cell service.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Speaking from experience, only allowing remote start by using the phone app is ridiculous (and takes much longer). Where I live there are areas (my friend's cottage for example) where there is no cell service and no internet service either so consequently I cannot remote start the car. I don't understand why Volvo doesn't allow remote starting with the FOB. When I had my 2015 Lincoln MKC, I could remote start with the FOB or the phone app....not everyone lives where there is always cell service.
Volvo is a European brand, and in Europe, remote start is heavily regulated to the point it’s basically prohibited. Look at other German brands, like Audi, and you’ll notice they don’t enable remote start from the FOB and instead rely on smart phone apps. The smart phone apps can use geographic restrictions (either via GPS or simply where your account is registered) to enable or disable remote start to comply with government regulations.

Obviously, Volvo could have two FOB designs, but that’s added cost and I don’t think enough customers care strongly enough for Volvo to undertake the expense. The fact Audi (with their access to deep VW pockets) also does not make a remote-start capable FOB for US-market cars reinforces the fact that customers either generally don’t care, or don’t care enough for it to prevent giving the Euro brands their money.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

1 - 20 of 46 Posts