SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the details and cost of adding this to our existing cars? Volvo US announced it earlier on their Facebook page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWByWt5-SXI

I would still love to have an open/close window feature from my key.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Somebody posted the sheet here yesterday, but then the post was yanked off.

It's available for '13 S60 as port installed option, $500 MSRP. You can remote start if car is locked, when you open the door to get in, the engine turns off, then you need to restart the car before you drive off.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I love how she walks out on her icy driveway in heels lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You were suppose to be looking at the car.......... :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Volvo cars US responded to someone on their Facebook page today saying it was available for 2012 S 60 as well

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds like it should fit all current model S60s MY11 through MY13.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
LOL, I see somebody else has posted on the facebook page how it's "annoying" for the car to turn off after opening the door. I learned that I guess Subaru's do that too. All the american brand (and self installed) remote starts I've ever used are able to leave the engine running even after you open the door to get in. The car is still protected from being driven off since the gear selector is locked. All one has to do is just insert the key or push button to then drive off. Not restart the whole car.

Volvo blames "environmental and legal standards". But then how is it that plenty of other manufacturers don't annoy their customers with engines that auto shut off after you just turned them on? Maybe what Volvo means it's their own internal legal department? Or it's just Volvo sticking to their pattern of building quirky things.

Still, this IS better than nothing at all!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yeah, in hot florida, in just the short time that people open doors and get in, the car would get hot again. If anything, IMO, shutting the engine off is WORSE, because now what will most likely happen is the driver will get in, and FULLY turn the car on, then go back to finishing loading their packages or whatever else. And now somebody could mess with the gear selector. I actually think it's safer to leave the engine on as the car is more locked down that way until the driver is really truly ready to drive off.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Also, isn't it bad on engines to let them warm up on idle. I thought that it was better for all the engine components to warm up at the same time i.e. car moving....this after the initial start and high idle.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
A lot of cars today actually auto rev their engines right at start up to quickly get the engines up to temp. Whenever we started our XC90, it was so loud for those initial moments getting itself warmed up.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Or it's just Volvo sticking to their pattern of building quirky things.

Still, this IS better than nothing at all!
Not interested for $500. MAYBE if they threw in remote windows. And, yes, Volvo software is the most 'quirky' (to put it nicely) that I've experienced, from lousy rain sensors, "automatic" headlights, occasional locking chirps, occasional seat belt warnings, folding mirrors that don't unfold in some unlock settings and don't get me started on Sensus! Man I wish I could work for their software development team or at least be a beta tester!

And what the heck happened to the first thread on this??

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Sounds like it should fit all current model S60s MY11 through MY13.
Eventually. However, it is not (yet) available for MY11s.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
$500.00 seems pretty pricey..........

·
Registered
364 Posts
Is there a spec sheet available somewhere as I have a few questions. How long will the remote start continue to run the engine for? Will the runtime be adjustable via Sensus? Will the remote start be actuated via PCC, Standard factory fob or an additional fob?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Is there a spec sheet available somewhere as I have a few questions. How long will the remote start continue to run the engine for? Will the runtime be adjustable via Sensus? Will the remote start be actuated via PCC, Standard factory fob or an additional fob?
The remote start can be activated, through the existing key fob, by pushing a sequence of buttons. It will run up to 15 minutes (you can only start it twice, within the initial 15 minutes). The car has to be in Park and doors locked. Remote start will stop the engine if any motion is senses inside the cabin and/or the fuel level drops below 2.6 gallons (or the coolant level is low, as well). This is for MY13s. For MY12s, with PCC, one will have to buy a new key fob.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The remote start can be activated, through the existing key fob, by pushing a sequence of buttons. It will run up to 15 minutes (you can only start it twice, within the initial 15 minutes). The car has to be in Park and doors locked. Remote start will stop the engine if any motion is senses inside the cabin and/or the fuel level drops below 2.6 gallons (or the coolant level is low, as well). This is for MY13s. For MY12s, with PCC, one will have to buy a new key fob.
So I understand correctly. For MY12 with PCC a new fob (replacement) will be needed or an additional fob? I know initially it was discussed that MY11.5 and newer would getting the option to install remote start is this still the plan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What if I don't have PCC? Is there an issue getting remote start?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts