SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never once successfully had the car start via the on call app in the morning. The app always says remote start failed. Yet the car starts ever time when I use remote start in the afternoon. Anyone else have this issue or know how to remedy it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
No issues for me. I've been using it every morning to pre-heat the interior and, so far as I can tell, it has worked 100% of the time -- one of my favorite features! I can imagine that if I lived in an area with marginal 3G cellular service (which I don't), then there could be issues with the the vehicle not receiving the signaled command to start. Are you starting the vehicles from different locations, morning vs. afternoon? I suppose also, and this is a stretch, but if your XC90 was parked outdoors and if you have morning winds strong enough to cause movement in the car, that the XC90 could interpret this to mean that a person was inside the vehicle, which is a "no-start" condition. Again, a bit of a stretch.

Having used the app for a while now, I would offer Volvo the following comments on how to improve it...

I believe it is safe to assume that Volvo's intent for the Remote Start feature is for us to be able to pre-warm or pre-cool our XC90 before getting in it. This is done now by setting a 1 to 15 minute time interval for the car to run once we initiate the Start Vehicle command. This leaves us to intuit how much time is required to bring the car from its current temperature to the temperature we want it to be, or more specifically, the last temperature we set using the climate controls. A more efficient option would be to have the vehicle run for the period of time necessary (within the 15 minute limit) to reach the target temperature and then shut off. This might be 3 minutes, or it might be 11. It depends. A more elegant approach would be to include new options in either the Climate controls of the vehicle, within or On Call ap, or both, where we can set the temperature we want the vehicle to pre-warm or pre-cool to. Example, we could set a "cool-to" temperature to 75 F, this would get the vehicle most of the way to being comfortable and without it running for longer than necessary. The pre-warming feature should have enough smarts to know that if it has been unusually cold, if it is has, to then also activate the defrosters and seat warmers. I just takes a bit of coding -- all of the hardware is there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting point about the cellular connection. The afternoon versus morning start are at different locations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No issues for me. I've been using it every morning to pre-heat the interior and, so far as I can tell, it has worked 100% of the time -- one of my favorite features! I can imagine that if I lived in an area with marginal 3G cellular service (which I don't), then there could be issues with the the vehicle not receiving the signaled command to start. Are you starting the vehicles from different locations, morning vs. afternoon? I suppose also, and this is a stretch, but if your XC90 was parked outdoors and if you have morning winds strong enough to cause movement in the car, that the XC90 could interpret this to mean that a person was inside the vehicle, which is a "no-start" condition. Again, a bit of a stretch.

Having used the app for a while now, I would offer Volvo the following comments on how to improve it...

I believe it is safe to assume that Volvo's intent for the Remote Start feature is for us to be able to pre-warm or pre-cool our XC90 before getting in it. This is done now by setting a 1 to 15 minute time interval for the car to run once we initiate the Start Vehicle command. This leaves us to intuit how much time is required to bring the car from its current temperature to the temperature we want it to be, or more specifically, the last temperature we set using the climate controls. A more efficient option would be to have the vehicle run for the period of time necessary (within the 15 minute limit) to reach the target temperature and then shut off. This might be 3 minutes, or it might be 11. It depends. A more elegant approach would be to include new options in either the Climate controls of the vehicle, within or On Call ap, or both, where we can set the temperature we want the vehicle to pre-warm or pre-cool to. Example, we could set a "cool-to" temperature to 75 F, this would get the vehicle most of the way to being comfortable and without it running for longer than necessary. The pre-warming feature should have enough smarts to know that if it has been unusually cold, if it is has, to then also activate the defrosters and seat warmers. I just takes a bit of coding -- all of the hardware is there.
I totally agree with this. Hopefully they can upgrade the software so that we can adjust the temperature on the phone app instead of leaving the car with the temp set at a number which we would like to return to several hours later. Boy, we are all banking a lot on the November software update.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check to see if you have the wifi setting connecting to your home network (this is different from having your wifi hotspot enabled). It could be that it is trying to use that connection instead of the built in 3G modem.

In my case, the wifi signal to my home network was very weak in my garage. So it was doing more damage than good. I turned of the wireless on my car. I always use On Call to lock my doors without any issues.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I totally agree with this. Hopefully they can upgrade the software so that we can adjust the temperature on the phone app instead of leaving the car with the temp set at a number which we would like to return to several hours later. Boy, we are all banking a lot on the November software update.
I am also considering the Honda Pilot Elite. It's remote start system determines if it is cold or hot outside, and adjusts the temperature and de-icers appropriately.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Anyone at Volvo:

Can we just get remote start on our damn fobs, already? Cellular technology sucks for this type of thing.

It's great as an option but sucks as a 100% only usage.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts