SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is the remote start should turn on my heater to the last setting the car was at.

Additionally my expectation is the seat warmer and steering wheel heaters should engage if the outside temp is I think below 50 degrees.

My remote start only turns on the engine. It will not turn on any climate functions or even sensus.

Do I have a fair expectation of what remote start should do? I've taken it to the dealer to be fixed before for this issue and I think there is confusion on expectations of what remote start should do.
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sensus starts when you enter the car and turn the start knob. I think the seat heaters will engage if they were on when you last turned off the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sensus starts when you enter the car and turn the start knob. I think the seat heaters will engage if they were on when you last turned off the car.
That's the way it works for me. When I engage the remote start the car starts and the climate is set at the same temperature it was on when I turned it off. If the seat heater and steering wheel heater were on when I turned it off they come on as well. The senses does not come on as there isn't anyone in the vehicle, but the climate does run. If it's cold it will just take some time for the heater to warm up before it starts blowing air.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If you use preconditioning on the T8 (currently no remote start) ... the VOC app will let you choose whether to turn on the driver seat, passenger set and steering wheel (if you have a heated steering wheel). And it also provides interior heating as well.

While you have the ability to turn on/off the seats and steering wheel ... there is seemingly no control over the temp settings. For me, the driver's seat is too hot after preconditioning. And I have no idea what temperature it is trying to heat the interior to (but it is warm and comfy).

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you remote start and have the heated seats/steering wheel set to auto, I don't believe that engages until you're in the vehicle, unfortunately. Shame too really. And this will be regardless of the last setting since the auto will override it on each start.

Given this cold weather in the NE, I may try to turn off the auto setting and see using the last used setting will turn it on via autostart.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Besides t8 owners, can other people confirm whether their seats and steering wheel will heat via remote start, either with or without the auto setting? Mine never do and lately the auto setting seems very sporadic. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes not, with no rhyme or reason.

Also it's annoying that if you have the seat or wheel heating on auto, you can't adjust it, it turns off and you have to reengage it then adjust it down. Lately I've had my auto setting on III but after 15 minutes or so I really only want it on I. So it's eight taps instead of four for seat and wheel. Lux probs but still annoying.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So it's eight taps instead of four for seat and wheel. Lux probs but still annoying.
In the same vein, I think you should be able to "synchronize" the seat and wheel warmer setting, so you tap the button once and set them the same (or at least an option within the settings to default to this). A long press would open up the two-level menu with individual adjustment as we see it now.

I will turn off the auto setting this afternoon and auto-start tomorrow, we'll see if it works. As for the auto, the threshold seems to be an outdoor temperature below 50F from what I've seen. Would be nice if the auto setting was truly auto as well, determining the low/medium/high setting based on outdoor temperature rather than the one setting you pick.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I took delivery on Friday and ran into the same issue. I assumed all the climate related functions would start with VOC remote start, and that you would have the ability to change those settings from the App.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a T6 FE - When I start my car via the remote app, the following happens:

- Climate begins working to return cabin to same temperature it was at when vehicle was turned off (I always have climate in auto).
- Seat heater returns to same setting it was on when vehicle was turned off.
- Steering wheel DOES NOT heat up (even though button says it is on). As soon as I start driving the steering wheel begins to heat.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I wish I could help but I've been confused by this as well...
How long are your running before entering the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I wish there was a way you could specify you want heated seats to come on always regardless if you had them on or off when you turned your car off?!? May times I turn off my heated seats once the car warms up and now I would need to remember to not forget to turn them on just for that :facepalm:

But wait, T8 might not have remote start from all that I'm reading :mad: :facepalm: :facepalm: :(

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
But wait, T8 might not have remote start from all that I'm reading :mad: :facepalm: :facepalm: :(
If you're plugged in, with pre-conditioning, you won't need it. Your car won't be cold!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
If you're plugged in, with pre-conditioning, you won't need it. Your car won't be cold!
I'm more concerned when I'm out of the house not plugged in work/shopping/visiting family etc. since inside my garage it's not as cold as outside.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree they should make it an option on the T8. If it's plugged in use the mains to heat the car, if it's not plugged in use the engine. I would think a software update can do that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
8track, are you certain the seat heater is on before you enter the vehicle?
I guess I can't be certain. Maybe the seats are warm just because of the warm air in the car. I know for sure that the steering wheel isn't warm so maybe the seats don't turn on either. I'll try to observe next time I use it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you using the auto activation of the seat and steering wheel heat option? This is described on page 192 of the manual and you get to it by tapping settings -> climate and then it is under "auto driver seat heating level, auto passenger seat heating level". This is what I have used almost every day for the past 4 weeks or so with no failures. If no one is sitting in the passenger seat then the heater will turn off automatically once you start to drive. When remotely started the climate goes to whatever the last setting was, i.e., if set to 72F then in the winter it has to warm up and in the summer the a/c is blasting cold air.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just checked mine. I had left the seat heater, ventilation and wheel all on I. Upon entering but not starting, the seat did feel warm but no lights indicating any of the heaters were on. The car had been running just 20-30 minutes prior so the seat wouldn't have been cold anyway so I'll check again tomorrow morning. Anyway when I turned the start knob, no heaters went on but the ventilation came on where I had left it. I have my auto seat and wheel set to III and it's definitely cold out so no idea why that wouldn't come on, I think remote starting or having previously dialed it down overrides it which is not logical so it seems a glitch to me.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Jt1443, when you remote start, do your seat and wheel heaters BEFORE entering and turning the start knob, are you certain of this? I'm only having issues with those functions, the climate temp settings are behaving perfectly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts