SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it foolish to think that a periodic remote start of a 2017 XC90 while away from the vehicle for a couple weeks will prevent the battery from draining? Or would that actually do more harm than good since the car won’t be driven, just started?

I am not automobile smart. At all. So if this is a silly question or very flawed logic, please excuse my ignorance!

For background, I’ve already needed a new battery once due to errors in the electronics that were causing pinging of the car too frequently. I feel like my starts recently have been a little “weak” and worry it’s about to happen again.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don’t think it would hurt, but you would be wasting fuel. A trickle charger would be better.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe the remote start is also only allowed 2 or 3 times before you have to actually get in and start the car. A trickle charger would be the best route.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You have only a limited time for the engine to run while using remote start. I agree that a trickle charger would be the best option.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Is it foolish to think that a periodic remote start of a 2017 XC90 while away from the vehicle for a couple weeks will prevent the battery from draining? Or would that actually do more harm than good since the car won’t be driven, just started?

I am not automobile smart. At all. So if this is a silly question or very flawed logic, please excuse my ignorance!

For background, I’ve already needed a new battery once due to errors in the electronics that were causing pinging of the car too frequently. I feel like my starts recently have been a little “weak” and worry it’s about to happen again.

Two weeks? No need. Your car will start right up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Two weeks? No need. Your car will start right up.
Also on T8 you have a “hold” option to hold the battery charge. Use this if you want to void car going to standby mode to preserve battery. In standby mode VOC will not work as the VOC modem would be disabled, and you may have to take the car to the dealer to get the car out of standby mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts

Sensus goes into standby mode after 3 days. It will not remote start in standby

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Just to clarify as I understand it ...

The Hold (formerly Save) option on T8 only saves the Hybrid charge while driving - using ICE. “Hold” does not have any effect on VOC and the fact that systems go dormant after ~5 continuous days of non-use.

To re-affirm what Grecian said, I have never experienced (knock on wood) a dead battery - Hybrid or otherwise - on my MY16 T8 whether two days, two weeks or two months. I am into 3.33 years of ownership with 38.3K miles.

Last summer, my T8 was at home, unplugged and not driven for 2.5 months. VOC and systems were dormant. Once I was able to drive again, I simply plugged in the hybrid to the charger overnight per usual. The hybrid and 12v batteries were fully charged and started up with no issues. Of course, I put my car away for the 2.5 months with ~ 25% charge as recommended by Volvo for extended non-use. This technique allows the hybrid charger to also top off the 12v batteries.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I do not own a T8 so this is just speculation, but its fairly common knowledge that with laptops and phones that if you are storing the them for an extended period of time you should not top off the battery before you leave, you should charge to between 50-80%. I wonder if that would be a best practice for the Volvo batteries as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts