SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 S60t6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found about the Park Daddy garage parking aid back in 2017.

Park Daddy garage parking aid.

Something like this comes in very handy when garage space is tight and you got expensive toys (I.E. Bikes, Toolboxes, etc.) in close proximity to bumpers on parked vehicles.
Relatively simple setup and no BS dangling from the ceiling or "speed bumps" on the floor to trip over was the main reasons for purchasing.

about the only thing I don't care for with their system is the lack of choice on the receiver that goes in the vehicle. There is only 1 and it's not the most user friendly in all interior cabin locations. the receiver is meant to plug into the "lighter" 12V accessory port. In my old MKV Jetta it was fine. But both my '01allroad, and the S60 have rather small compartments where the 12 V accessory port is located... meaning you can't close these compartments with the receiver plugged in, it sticks up and looks like a tacked on afterthought. not my style.

So I hacked the the PD receiver down to a more manageable size and stuck it in that small little compartment at the front of the console surrounded by foam to hold it in place... yes it still looks like a tacked on afterthought, but at least I would be able close the compartment to hide it's visibility once I got a a more permanent phone mount installed.

Fast forward a few months, and the phone mount has been resolved, now I am embarking on integrating several other items into the S60, namely setting up a two channel 4K dash cam, and incorporating a V1g2. Now that I have pulled down some of the interior panels associated with this install adventure, I saw an opportunity to relocate the PD receiver to the overhead console in front of the sunroof switch which will make it easier to cue off of when parking in the garage even when backing in (as we usually do) because the indicator will now be visible just above the rear view mirror.

I also wanted to say Thanks to SG1 for his informative post on how to get some of the interior panels down without damaging them during his Dash Cam and V1 install. No doubt this will come in handy when stringing wires for this install.

1st thing was to decide on a trigger circuit, and where to pull it from. over the past few months I have figured out the S60 has several circuits that are timed or triggered a bit differently. I liked the timing and operation of the circuit that controls the power supply to the interior lights. This may also be a good place to tap for the "key on" signal for the dash cams, but if I go that route I will end up using the interior light tap strictly as a trigger for a relay (minimizing current draw on that particular circuit so as not to overload or freak out any circuit monitoring system. And yes all new add on circuits will all be fused on separate circuits.

Point of no return, the first panel to get hacked in a way that is going to be visible and not hiding in the background

Cut most of the grate out with a set of electronics wire cutter first, then massaged the opening with a carbide tipped grinder, a couple jewelers' files and a No.11 X-acto knife. The reason I did not go completely flush on the installation was two fold. 1st, the curvature radius between the trim panel and the PD receiver is slightly different, and 2nd, there is not exactly a lot of room behind that upper console trim piece and I trimmed down the PD receiver housing to as small as I could with out causing structural issues for the PD circuit board

So at this point this is where I am at, I am still deciding what is going to be the best way to secure the PD receiver permanently. At this point I am thinking epoxy on the back side, and then use a small amount of black silicone on the front side to fill in all the little voids and hold what little is left of the grille grate in place.

There will be more to come over the next week or so, stay tuned!

·
Registered
2019 S60t6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally had an opportunity to finalize the mounting of the PD receiver. I decided to use black silicone on both the top & bottom. it should be more than strong enough for this application, and also it will be a little more flexible than epoxy that might crack over time.

I should have had this finished and posted up a few days ago, but I got sidetracked with the wife getting ready for a trip, after which was followed by a few days that were just too good to pass up... gorgeous weather, wife's out of town, etc...the pull to get out on the bike, get some exercise, and just de-compress was all I needed as an excuse.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Nice work, I like the cut of your jib sir! I helped my daughter mod the steering on her little plastic car a few weeks ago, now she can do 3 point turns in my office ha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts