SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
When wiring up your new battery, do also consider the amount of current that you would like the battery to provide. The more current, the thicker the wires, just like how thick jumper cables are. Is there really space to run that thick cables from the front to the back of the car?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Re: (vivek9856)

There are two issues here with the wires.

First is the resistance of the wire, how much resistance of the wires would affect the actual car circuit. This actually depends on how much resistance the car has during operation and during ignition. I would not think this is very significant here as car electronics are supposed to work with the minimum 12V with tolerance level above that due to surge in voltage when reving and ignition. The car battery comes to about 14V to 15V usually (assuming not nearing end of battery life or low battery). So unless your new wire takes up like 1/6 the resistance of the existing circuit, it will not cause the car to function properly.

Second is the need to carry enough currents. The thing you want to blow is your fuse, not have your wires burn from carrying too much current. The current now you are concern with is how much current there is when the alternator charges the battery, during ignition and when the engine is off, but the radio and stuff are switched on. All these currents should not exceed the rating for the wire (preferably to have some more safety overhead on the wires than the maximum).

·
Registered
319 Posts
It takes patience to strip the car to that. I've done it with a Celica when my friend wanted to add extra sound proofing, we did it together in a few days, and had a garage to keep all the parts. I would feel it is possible to strip half the car and lift up only 1 side of the carpet if you need them. Their presence would definitely be felt, we had a car PC installed and cables running under his rear seats and you can actually feel the cables when sitting on them (VGA, USBs, power cables, on off switch cable).

I Saw 50: I was just looking at your pictures, the shifter knob should actually twist out and the cloth cover would be free to be removed totally (if they are the same as the Celica).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Our cars also have the option of installing a side storage box in the rear and that does not interfere with the lifting of the floor board. I installed mine myself. The bin fits just nice but it would not be much use securing a battery, if you can find one that fits into that space (not sure if it is an option for V50). The bin is only secured by 2 plastic bolts to the carpet, not enough to hold the battery, but you can always take out the cover to look for holds there, it comes out quite easily.

I Saw 50:
Isn't our cars quite sound proofed already ? (although I still feel my engine is loud)
Did you manage to put back the carpet with good fit, the Celica that my friend and I did and the carpet slightly "overflow" due to the extra material that we add to the floor (less floor depth).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.