SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a used 2012 S60 T5 with 45k miles and it's great but burns some oil. Nothing too crazy.....yet. I'm worried it could get worse as it is a common issue. I'm floating the idea of possibly trading the car in for a different model S60 with a more reliable engine while mines still going good. What engines should I avoid? So far I have
1) 2012 T5's
2) 2015,2016 Drive-E's

·
Registered
720 Posts
From what I've read, any Drive-e engine with an engine serial number below 1501327 has the potentially problematic rings. This basically means any vehicle with a Drive-e engine that was built during or before the 4th week of 2016 based on the structure week designations I've seen in a Volvo Technical Journal on the issues. This would include 2014 model year cars with the Drive-e engine as well.

There were some PCV, cam cover seal, and valve guide issues with the early 3.0 litre SI6 engines with engine build dates prior to May 4th, 2011 but these were not as widespread or as severe as the potential ring issues in the Drive-e engines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've read, any Drive-e engine with an engine serial number below 1501327 has the potentially problematic rings. This basically means any vehicle with a Drive-e engine that was built during or before the 4th week of 2016 based on the structure week designations I've seen in a Volvo Technical Journal on the issues. This would include 2014 model year cars with the Drive-e engine as well.

There were some PCV, cam cover seal, and valve guide issues with the early 3.0 litre SI6 engines with engine build dates prior to May 4th, 2011 but these were not as widespread or as severe as the potential ring issues in the Drive-e engines.
How about your I6 engine? Unfortunately its very rare post 2012 outside of the R design models, which I have been looking into. And do you think post 2012 I5 engines would be good?

·
Registered
720 Posts
How about your I6 engine? Unfortunately its very rare post 2012 outside of the R design models, which I have been looking into. And do you think post 2012 I5 engines would be good?
My own I6 pulls like a freight train and has been running beautifully. It can't approach the fuel mileage of the 2.0 litre cars, but I really like it. If you're in the US, the T6 AWD cars should still have the I6 through 2015 if I remember correctly; I believe there was a bit of a delay in getting the 8-speed transmission set up for AWD which left the T6 AWD cars with the I6 for an extra year.

For fuel mileage and everyday performance, I have to admit that the Drive-E engines are impressive - as long as you get a 2017 or later model year - but I still just love the SI6. There are a lot of die-hard "Volvo guys" who call it a Ford engine and will badmouth it for not being a "true" Volvo engine but, honestly, it's just such a wonderful engine that it's worth the fuel mileage penalty IMO. The SI6 is probably 80% of the reason I bought my S60.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
My own I6 pulls like a freight train and has been running beautifully. It can't approach the fuel mileage of the 2.0 litre cars, but I really like it. If you're in the US, the T6 AWD cars should still have the I6 through 2015 if I remember correctly; I believe there was a bit of a delay in getting the 8-speed transmission set up for AWD which left the T6 AWD cars with the I6 for an extra year.

For fuel mileage and everyday performance, I have to admit that the Drive-E engines are impressive - as long as you get a 2017 or later model year - but I still just love the SI6. There are a lot of die-hard "Volvo guys" who call it a Ford engine and will badmouth it for not being a "true" Volvo engine but, honestly, it's just such a wonderful engine that it's worth the fuel mileage penalty IMO. The SI6 is probably 80% of the reason I bought my S60.
Actually, 3.0 I6 was available through the 2016 model year, so my 2016 V60 RD 3.0 T6 (all last 9 characters are on the hatch) has it.

Have driven the new platform equivalent with drive-e, and had a chipped V70R (nominally the same HP and weight as the current V60RD) after two other Volvos and can say, IMHO, the P* tuned 3.0 I6 is by far the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Actually, 3.0 I6 was available through the 2016 model year, so my 2016 V60 RD 3.0 T6 (all last 9 characters are on the hatch) has it.

Have driven the new platform equivalent with drive-e, and had a chipped V70R (nominally the same HP and weight as the current V60RD) after two other Volvos and can say, IMHO, the P* tuned 3.0 I6 is by far the best.
The SI6 really is a gem of an engine, isn't it. :) And thanks for the info re: 2016 models. I couldn't remember if that was just the RD cars or whether it included the "normal" AWD T6 cars though.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts

2016 was a crossover year in the US market for the T6 designation on the P3 cars, starting the model year with the SI 6 motor and then part way through moving to the 4 cylinder. All of the Polestar engineered cars got the SI 6 in 2016. For other P3's there were more 4 cylinder T6's than six cylinder ones in 2016, at least in the US.

·
Registered
753 Posts
2016 was a crossover year in the US market for the T6 designation on the P3 cars, starting the model year with the SI 6 motor and then part way through moving to the 4 cylinder. All of the Polestar engineered cars got the SI 6 in 2016. For other P3's there were more 4 cylinder T6's than six cylinder ones in 2016, at least in the US.
Wow..sorry to sidetrack the OP's thread but that's a lot of Volvos in your signature. Which was your most reliable and/or favorite Volvo ? Motor on fellow Volvo brother :cool:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, hence the 3.0 on the hatch to distinguish it from the drive-e T6.

Our last two Volvo’s have both been very late production - the ‘07 V70R was the last month of production - and I think the engines were very well sorted by then.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Are post 2012 I5 engines problem free?
Not necessarily but a lot fewer reports on here of issues on the '13 cars. I don't recall seeing anything on the '14 cars.

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Yes, hence the 3.0 on the hatch to distinguish it from the drive-e T6.
Funny how they even changed the font on the "6" on T6 cars - for just this year and different than the "6" font in "V60".

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
Wow..sorry to sidetrack the OP's thread but that's a lot of Volvos in your signature. Which was your most reliable and/or favorite Volvo ? Motor on fellow Volvo brother :cool:
Hard to pick a favorite - I've pretty much liked them all but if I had to pick one it would be the S70 T5 SE that I bought off lease and was brought in from Canada. That's the one car that I look back and regret selling. It was super rare and I would buy it back in a heartbeat if I knew where it was.

They've all been pretty reliable - they've certainly needed repairs but I never had to deal with big things like transmissions or engines needing to be replaced luckily. Probably the one that needed the most repairs was the V70R but I also owned that one the longest - 9 years.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Very happy with our 2014 and 2015.5, 5-cylinder engines at 45,000 miles or so. No issues at all. Decent gas mileage, not what the new 2L, 4-cylinders get but over the life of the car not a significant cost difference.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hard to pick a favorite - I've pretty much liked them all but if I had to pick one it would be the S70 T5 SE that I bought off lease and was brought in from Canada. That's the one car that I look back and regret selling. It was super rare and I would buy it back in a heartbeat if I knew where it was.
I've got a '98 T5 SE. Love the stitched leather door panels and alcantara seat inserts. Mine started life in SoCal based on the Carfax so it's one of the even more rare US editions of the SE cars.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Does anyone know how the drive e engines are for reliability after 2016?
It's too early to tell. The average 2016 vehicle has between 40,000 - 47,000 miles on it. I would say the vast majority of them haven't had any major issues. But just because a car doesn't have issues before 50,000 miles doesn't mean it is reliable. Not in my book anyway. I've also never bought a car with less than 70,000 miles, so maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
s60 oil burning issue

So I have a used 2012 S60 T5 with 45k miles and it's great but burns some oil. Nothing too crazy.....yet. I'm worried it could get worse as it is a common issue. I'm floating the idea of possibly trading the car in for a different model S60 with a more reliable engine while mines still going good. What engines should I avoid? So far I have
1) 2012 T5's
2) 2015,2016 Drive-E's
If it's burning oil now at 45k, it likely will get worse; had same car, eventually around 65k it burned one quart of oil per one
thousand miles; sold it; check out
carcomplaints.com
Edmunds
Consumer reports car issue for models to avoid; as far as avoiding a certain type of engine, maybe you can google problem Volvo engines and see what comes back.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If it's burning oil now at 45k, it likely will get worse; had same car, eventually around 65k it burned one quart of oil per one
thousand miles; sold it; check out
carcomplaints.com
Edmunds
Consumer reports car issue for models to avoid; as far as avoiding a certain type of engine, maybe you can google problem Volvo engines and see what comes back.
My ‘07 V70R, which were know to go through oil and had an oil warning sensor, burned about half a litre between 12k km oil changes until it had about 330k km on it, after which it burned a full litre.

Current ‘16 V60RD 3.0 has 100k km and burns less than half a litre between 16k km oil changes

·
Registered
183 Posts
I feel like oil consumption doesn't necessarily equate to unreliability. You have 45k miles and it's burning oil. That shouldn't happen. BUT as long as you keep it full, the engine itself will run and drive perfectly fine. Even with that low mileage, your 2012 S60 isn't worth a whole lot on trade in. Wouldn't it suck to trade in an oil burning car for a CPO Volvo only to find that it, too, burns oil? An expensive way to end back up at square 1, because the Drive-E engines have MUCH more systemic oil burning issues than the 3.0 I-6 ever did. I have a 2012 XC60 with this engine. Mine has 177k and didn't start burning oil until the PCV vent box was replaced at 155k. Never a drop before then, but now 1qt 3k after the oil change, then more and more (I guess as the oil gets dirtier?) until the next oil change. I run full synthetic at the recommended 7,500 mile drain interval, and with Volvo or WIX oil filters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts