SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reliability of (extremely) high mileage T6 (2015.5 XC60)

Hello swedespeed,

Long time lurker, but I have created this account since I cannot seem to find many answers available. Recently an XC60 popped up locally and caught my attention. It's a 2015 T6 Platinum R-Design with 222k miles. I assume the majority have to be highway miles to accumulate so many miles in a few years. It's had one owner, no accidents reported, it even has the polestar tune! So my question is: is this vehicle even worth considering? Or at this mileage is just about everything on its way out? I cannot find another newer T6 Volvo to compare this too. The price is low, but it won't be worth it if maintenance costs are ridiculous. I think this vehicle looks great, and the Polestar tune is a (somewhat) rare bonus. We already have an XC60 T6 with ~50k in the family, no major problems yet. Just curious what to expect with over 4x those miles. Any input would be appreciated, thank you :cool:

Edit: *MY2015.5, if that makes a difference

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
I have a 2009 XC70 T6 with 275,000 miles on it! It has the same engine as the XC60 you're looking at (don't know how much else is the same). I am compulsive about maintenance and would ask to see service records on the vehicle that you're considering. But I'm not immediately turned off by the mileage if the price is right and the maintenance has been done religiously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2009 XC70 T6 with 275,000 miles on it! It has the same engine as the XC60 you're looking at (don't know how much else is the same). I am compulsive about maintenance and would ask to see service records on the vehicle that you're considering. But I'm not immediately turned off by the mileage if the price is right and the maintenance has been done religiously.
Thank you for your response. Glad to hear you're at 275k miles and doing okay with proper maintenance. I have contacted the seller for maintenance records. For now I know it's a one owner vehicle and all recalls have been addressed. Also just finding out it is a 2015.5

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Hard to say if it's worth considering without knowing the price, which for me would have to be really low for a car with 222k miles on the clock. Also, 222k miles is a lot of services to make sure were done on time and not skipped. If you can verify all that and the price is right then it may be worth it. I'd tend to be more interested in paying a little more for lower miles, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to say if it's worth considering without knowing the price, which for me would have to be really low for a car with 222k miles on the clock. Also, 222k miles is a lot of services to make sure were done on time and not skipped. If you can verify all that and the price is right then it may be worth it. I'd tend to be more interested in paying a little more for lower miles, but that's just me.
Thank you. The price is $7900 which I think seems reasonable, but there are no real comparisons mileage wise. I would hope to negotiate that lower once I'm seriously considering the vehicle. Still waiting on a response from the seller regarding service records and if it has had anything major replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm glad to see your high mileage T6 engine is doing well with proper service. I'm hoping the lone owner would provide the necessary maintenance driving this amount of miles, but I'm still waiting for the seller to confirm this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please just be careful and look it over! I have a 2015.5 R-Design and love it, but it has low-ish miles at 67K. I've been diligent on changing fluids (including transmission, differentials and Haldex). I love it though, such a great car!

However, please make sure you look at it closely. Just from that picture I see it's missing a silver trim piece near the grill Volvo iron mark, the front tow eye cover is missing and it looks like there is a crack in the lower valance. if the maintenance has been done and the dealer will fix those things, I'm sure its great!

Dave

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I was recently in the market for an XC60 and saw this a week ago. If this is the one from Ray Price, they told me it's no longer available and went to auction due to high mileage. When I asked for service records, they said they have none.

Anyway, good luck and maybe you can make an offer to them to keep it from going to auction.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Get it inspected by a trustworthy person, or get under it yourself. Make sure NOTHING is leaking

·
Registered
225 Posts
I saw that on cars.com. I know the carfax report says nothing about an accident, but that's hardly ever much to go by tbh. I have had countless repairs done to vehicles over the years due to negligent drivers, and always made sure to go through their insurance and not report it on mine. Typically, a body shop will not upload information about the car to carfax unless specifically requested if its outside of your own insurance coverage.

I mention this for the sole reason that the car may or may not have been repaired or previously damaged on the passenger side, as both the LED running light and headlight washer jet is not present. Whether they may have fallen within the bumper assembly will be up to an in-person inspection, but I would definitely make sure to check that out.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Beware of any signs that it’s a poorly maintained beater where they took shortcuts on maintenance or were cheap about upkeep. The aesthetic damage is a red flag but not necessarily representative of the overall condition of the vehicle. With that kind of mileage it’s certainly likely a vehicle will incur cosmetic damage or even a conscientious owner might make an error parking too close to a wall or fire hydrant, while otherwise taking great care of the vehicle. I’m wary of the miles BUT it’s an attractive price that remains attractive even if there are some minor repairs in your future. Just be sure it drives as close to new as possible. It should sound smooth and healthy at idle and underway, pull strongly, and not have any quirks with transmission behavior.

Other things to look for: A/C and all power functions should work. Tires should be recent, and look for matching high quality name brand tires. Nexens, Triangle, or any other dirt cheap tire or mismatched set is one of the biggest signifiers of a poorly maintained vehicle. That’s the first thing I look for. Conversely, if the owner could afford 4 Michelin Pilot Sports or the like, or bought the OEM replacement tires, chances are they also were willing to pay for whatever $500 major service intervals were due along the way. Cheap ****ty tires usually are a sign of cost cutting that almost always aligns with skipping expensive service and deferring on needed big ticket repairs like worn out dampers, not to mention Jiffy Lube oil changes and cheap oil filters instead of expensive dealership service using Volvo parts. Remember big ticket wear items like used up tires brakes and dampers, not to mention sensors or other electrical or power items, can quickly add substantial cost to your purchase if they need to be addressed after you buy it. Perhaps you can even get some kind of short term warranty while you work out any bugs that might come up.

Steer clear if it smells funny or feels tired, loose, or otherwise has the vibe of a beater. A very well maintained high mileage vehicle will have some cosmetic signs of age and might even have a few rattles, but all the mechanicals should feel fresh, it should ride quietly with good body control (blown dampers are another sign of poor maintenance habits or a “drive the wheels off it then unload it when it’s all used up” mentality) and even if you don’t have a detailed paper trail, it should at least feel fresh and buttoned up with clean oil and everything working properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts