SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends

I am looking at a used 2012 V60 2.0T auto at 70 000km mileage to use as company car for driving staff around. What’s the thought on this? How reliable is this car? Any known problems and issues I should look out for? Is it a reliable car overall?

Thank you for any info that may be valuable for me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My experience is the back seat is a bit cramped. If you are carrying around a lot of folks many days a week this may be sub optimal. My wife who is small & shorter has complained about it

Other than that the early years V60 has some percentage of cars with engine damage on the cylinder walls. Your particular car may be old enough that if it hasn't shown up yet then you are in the clear. Or the seller is unloading it after getting a Dx. Maybe an oil analysis would show metal in the oil?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have no experience with the 2.0T engine. Car is very reliable otherwise.
I do second Scrapr's comment on the back seat being too tight for driving people around all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. The back seats are a bit cramped, but it's mainly for short distance travels. Still pretty comfortable. Waiting to pick up the car next week. Hopefully it doesn't break down in the first week of work...

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI 6 發送

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... No one has any experience with the 2.0T? Older models of Volvo are extremely complicated , way too many variations.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI 6 發送

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks pretty sharp. Are those the 18" sleipners?
No idea. Will only find out after picking it up Tuesday or Wednesday.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI 6 發送

·
Registered
708 Posts
Check if this has the Getrag Dual Clutch. I'm pretty sure it does, if so, avoid it as it's the same unit in the class action for Ford

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There are several variants of 2012 V60 2.0T depending on where you are.
1. 2.0L B4204T (Ford Ecoboost) with PowerShift
2. 2.0L B5204T with Aisin TF-80SC

The ecoboost engine itslef is okay, but turbo tends to wear out prematurely, same goes for the powershift transmission if you don't take care of it.
The 5 cylinder engine is great, built tough like all VOLVO 5 cylinder engines, same goes for the Aisin TF-80SC it is able to take the abuse in the torquier D5 engine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check if this has the Getrag Dual Clutch. I'm pretty sure it does, if so, avoid it as it's the same unit in the class action for Ford

Thanks for feedback, is there a major reliability or safety issue with this transmission you mentioned?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are several variants of 2012 V60 2.0T depending on where you are.
1. 2.0L B4204T (Ford Ecoboost) with PowerShift
2. 2.0L B5204T with Aisin TF-80SC

The ecoboost engine itslef is okay, but turbo tends to wear out prematurely, same goes for the powershift transmission if you don't take care of it.
The 5 cylinder engine is great, built tough like all VOLVO 5 cylinder engines, same goes for the Aisin TF-80SC it is able to take the abuse in the torquier D5 engine.

Hope this helps.
I did a quick VIN check online, it turns out to be a B4204T6 engine... any known issue? Is it still ford? On Wiki it says it was only built in the one year of 2011.... wonder if there’s still any parts for it.....

Not sure what transmission it’s using, dealer doesn’t know jack all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thanks for feedback, is there a major reliability or safety issue with this transmission you mentioned?
You can google the Ford Powershift class action and go down the rabbit hole. From what ive heard, it seems to just be worn clutches resulting in jerkiness. I think the danger comes when you are trying to cut across traffic and the car stalls.

I believe VW had a similar recall around that time (at least in Australia). These were the dark days of Dual Clutch gearboxes

·
Registered
904 Posts
Stay away from Ford Engine and Trans that came in any volvo car. Only take Volvo engine and reg trans and you be safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so I did some googling.it seems Volvo power**** were wet and Ford used dry so they had more problems(unsure what they mean). And on wiki it says Volvo V60 6 speed power shift were made by aisin? Doesn't mention about Ford, but on Ford power shift page I can see V60 listed.... Wonder how I can check without taking car apart or lifting it to the skies....

I can live with it being jerky but if it breaks down completely... Gawd damn it.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 MI 6 發送

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
On the bright side, many parts can be purchased from FORD dealer.
The 4 cylinder ecoboost is pretty strong itself, its just that turbo housing tend to crack after high mileage.
But replacement from FORD are much cheaper than VOLVO.
As for the powershift, just make sure you change the ATF more frequent than dealer recommendation.
ATF is muuuuch cheaper than new transmission...

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have tried to find this info online with no success, Could you please advise where I could find the info.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, saw that article as well. The confusing part of the whole transmission story is that apparently Volvo also used the Aisin 6 speed auto on the XC60. The problem I face is how to determine which years had the Powershift and which the Aisin.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, saw that article as well. The confusing part of the whole transmission story is that apparently Volvo also used the Aisin 6 speed auto on the XC60. The problem I face is how to determine which years had the Powershift and which the Aisin.
I believe the Powershift was only on the T5 Ecoboost 2.0L 4 cylinder in the years up to 2015. Any advert that says Dual Clutch is the Powershift
Australia didn't get the 5 cylinder T5 2.5L with the 6 speed.
After 2015 (and late 2014) they moved to the Drive E 2.0L with an Aisin 8 Speed

The T6 from 2012-2016 had the Aisin 6 speed.

That should be the same story across S/V60 and XC60

1 - 20 of 22 Posts