SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada and I put my deposit down for my 2016 T8 in March 2015. I was originally told it would arrive in November 2015 but that has now been pushed back to March 2016 -- 1 whole year after my deposit went down and (I think?) 8 months after the T8 came out in other parts of North America.... I guess my question is, at what point should I just wait for the 2017 models instead? Will 2017 models be coming out in May of 2016?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm just guessing based on some 2016s expected in June, but I would expect 2017s later in the summer. I would guess that if you ordered another T8 now, you might be looking even further down the road. One nice thing about the March delivery is you are avoiding most of a winter season.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Will 2017 models be coming out in May of 2016?
The 2017 S90 may, but I doubt the 2017 XC90's will be. May/June is nice for a new model, first year launch, but it seems an early release for an existing model with no minor refresh or anything like that. But hey, what do I know...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live in Canada and I put my deposit down for my 2016 T8 in March 2015. I was originally told it would arrive in November 2015 but that has now been pushed back to March 2016 -- 1 whole year after my deposit went down and (I think?) 8 months after the T8 came out in other parts of North America.... I guess my question is, at what point should I just wait for the 2017 models instead? Will 2017 models be coming out in May of 2016?

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I'm not as bad as you are, but I only ordered an R-Design T6. Ordered June 1st 2015, ETA Feb 20 2016. Seems the tracking we have in Canada is absolute garbage compared to the USA as a car that is due to arrive in less than 3 weeks apparently has no details assigned to it as far as my dealer is aware. I would love to wait for 2017 at this point since with the extended wait I have already purchased another car that can hold us over as long as we need to (VW Touareg) but I'd be afraid about both pricing as well as delivery times with these as well. With the sinking CAD I could see 2017 models costing upwards of 70k base with that nicely equipped T8 hitting 100k after tax.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I'm not as bad as you are, but I only ordered an R-Design T6. Ordered June 1st 2015, ETA Feb 20 2016. Seems the tracking we have in Canada is absolute garbage compared to the USA as a car that is due to arrive in less than 3 weeks apparently has no details assigned to it as far as my dealer is aware. I would love to wait for 2017 at this point since with the extended wait I have already purchased another car that can hold us over as long as we need to (VW Touareg) but I'd be afraid about both pricing as well as delivery times with these as well. With the sinking CAD I could see 2017 models costing upwards of 70k base with that nicely equipped T8 hitting 100k after tax.
Yes, that's a good point about the change in FX rate... since my deposit is completely refundable I'm inclined to holdout until March and if there is any further pushes in the timeline or problems with my order then I'll cancel and move on.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
From what I understand, the T8's in US only started being delivered to customers during the last week of December 2016. Many were being held at port, but not being delivered. In my case, I ordered on May 30, 2015 and it arrived to the dealer on January 15, 2016. Originally, it had an ETA of 11/17/2015 which amounted to a 2-month delay. Due to my personal scheduling issues, I picked up mine yesterday on 2/1/2016.

Personally, the MY2016 T8 is amazing. March 2016 is only a month away. I do not have any insights, but I would speculate (FWIW) that a MY17 XC90 delivered in May 2016 is optimistic at best. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You've waited this long, March is almost here! I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017MY doesn't come out until September or October. I'd be shocked if they start showing up in May or June. I don't even know if any Canadian has a T8 yet, so starting to sell the 2017s this early may cause a lot of people to abandon their deposits on 2016s.

I'd also be concerned about the exchange rate, as the 2017 is likely to cost more to make up for our falling currency. At least you're locked in with last year's price.

That being said, if you cancel your order, it may move me up in the queue, so that's cool too!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would think that if you put a deposit down and have a purchase and sale agreement ... that the price that was negotiated when you place the order / provided the deposit will have to be honoured.

I'm a bit perplexed about the March 2015 date though - I was at the NYC auto show in April and I don't think you could put an order in for a T8 at that time. (I ordered mine late May 2015 albeit an OSD order.)

Then there's the question of when did the dealer actually have the ability to place the order for your vehicle? I don't understand this system of slots allocated to dealers and the like.

One thing you could do is ask your dealer when is the last date that you can make any changed to the order. Getting that answer may give you some indication as to how far along the order is in the system.

If your order is in the queue and you're still happy with the config - I'd sit tight with it. There's so much demand for XC90's I'd expect that if you stepped out you'd be a long way from getting another order fulfilled.

As for T8's specifically - I wonder if there's any regulatory issues in Canada that are being worked through?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Personally, the MY2016 T8 is amazing. March 2016 is only a month away. I do not have any insights, but I would speculate (FWIW) that a MY17 XC90 delivered in May 2016 is optimistic at best. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Optimistic? How about "unrealistic"? :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Optimistic? How about "unrealistic"? :)
What would be a realistic expectation for the 2017 models arrival date, and when would they be available for order? We are very interested in the XC90 but the current lack of power folding third row seats (a requirement per my wife...no point in trying to convince her otherwise) is a deal killer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would think that if you put a deposit down and have a purchase and sale agreement ... that the price that was negotiated when you place the order / provided the deposit will have to be honoured.
This is true, but it would only apply to the original order. If you switched the order to a 2017MY, your original deal would be cancelled, and if prices on the 2017 are higher in Canada due to the falling dollar, you would likely have to pay the new price.

·
Registered
602 Posts
What would be a realistic expectation for the 2017 models arrival date, and when would they be available for order? We are very interested in the XC90 but the current lack of power folding third row seats (a requirement per my wife...no point in trying to convince her otherwise) is a deal killer.
The unrealistic part is that the 2017 XC90 will come in may... normally the next model year starts to trickle in later June.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The unrealistic part is that the 2017 XC90 will come in may... normally the next model year starts to trickle in later June.
And that it will be materially different than MY16... I haven't seen anything concrete detailing that anything is changed, so likely will be MY16 on Tuesday and then Wednesday, it becomes MY17.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's been posted on here and the dealer told me that power seats will be on MY17.

I think most are in general agreement that dealers, or at least the salesmen, are the LAST to know anything and often quote random "facts" that have no basis.
Dealers are often the least knowledgeable.
While this is not said to disrespect salesmen for the job they perform (the exception would be the "car-nut" variety who makes it his mission to stalk every piece of information he can lay his hands on) I think it's true to say most of us have experienced asking a question of a dealer only to have them roll out some stock or scripted response.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good luck with that - until you see it on the Volvo website or reported by a good source, it's just rumor.
And a rumor from last May is not one I'd hang my hat on...
I believe the poster grecianvolvo works for Volvo, and in August he/she posted that it would be available for MY2017. It was supposed to be on all the vehicles but there was some problem with the motors they were trying to use.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I believe the poster grecianvolvo works for Volvo, and in August he/she posted that it would be available for MY2017. It was supposed to be on all the vehicles but there was some problem with the motors they were trying to use.
and it was supposed to be on MY16 and we know how well that turned out...

·
Registered
602 Posts
(I am a salesmen for Volvo and Grecian is a source I would use). Latest news I got through the grapevine is that it wasn't coming in the 17's and I can be completely wrong. I really have to wait until pricing comes out for the 2017's. Though salesmen can be slower in hearing things then anyone else.... that is why I am on here. I might know next week during training for the S90.
The first place I look that is official is the OSD pages.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts