SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I was wondering, whether there is a recommendation for the XC90 brake rotors so far? My XC90 is 2010, foru-wheel drive, and I as it is time to replace the rotors, I thought maybe there is a better option to the regular rotors?
Now, I've heared a lot of slotted and vented rotors, and saw dozens of these avail online, okay, but I do not really know if these holes really make a difference, you know.
That's why decided to ask on the Volvo forum, because, you know, that's not the race car. Yet, last winter when I was in NY, i parked using a hand brake. It was freezing, and when I hd to drive 2 hrs later, I noticed that I had hard time taking it off the hand brake. After several miles I stopped near a shop and noticed something was burning right inside of the wheel. Now, everything's fine, nothing has melted except of a rubber fitting, which I replaced.
And now keeping that situation in mind, I was wondering, if I had slotted or drilled or in any other case vented brakes, would it make any difference?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Folks, any ideas what would be better, solid rotors like these ones off ebay or something vented with holes/slots like this set? Want to grab a set, as mine are of no good already...

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Hi everyone, I was wondering, whether there is a recommendation for the XC90 brake rotors so far? My XC90 is 2010, foru-wheel drive, and I as it is time to replace the rotors, I thought maybe there is a better option to the regular rotors?
Now, I've heared a lot of slotted and vented rotors, and saw dozens of these avail online, okay, but I do not really know if these holes really make a difference, you know.
That's why decided to ask on the Volvo forum, because, you know, that's not the race car. Yet, last winter when I was in NY, i parked using a hand brake. It was freezing, and when I hd to drive 2 hrs later, I noticed that I had hard time taking it off the hand brake. After several miles I stopped near a shop and noticed something was burning right inside of the wheel. Now, everything's fine, nothing has melted except of a rubber fitting, which I replaced.
And now keeping that situation in mind, I was wondering, if I had slotted or drilled or in any other case vented brakes, would it make any difference?
The problem with your e brake last winter was probably due to a faulty e brake mechanism and was not at all related to what type of rotor you were using.

About rotor types - pretty much all of them are vented at this point - they are either vented or solid and that means looking at the edge of the rotor and observing cooling vanes. I think you may be talking about cross drilled rotors, the ones with the holes drilled in them. For your use I would skip the cross drilled variety and just get standard vented rotors - OEM or whatever aftermarket brand you prefer. I got a set of Bosch Quietcast rotors a few months ago and have been pleased with them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have purchased both OEM rotors and aftermarket rotors for various cars. I have found that the cross drilled rotors have a tendency to crack at the edge of the hole. Sometimes the manufacturers will chamfer the hole to help prevent cracking. They still tend to develop small hairline cracks. Rotors get hot for sure. My best experience has been with slotted rotors. The slot does not go all the way through the rotor. But it does help to keep the pads clean insuring you get good bite on braking. That has been my experience. Once you start turning a rotor because of warping they will continue to warp and much sooner as you have removed material from the rotor. I am looking for two piece rotors for the XC90 T8. I love the look and they hold up really well to hard and continuous braking without warping. I just don't want to change out the calipers as often that impacts the brake distribution valving. No one seems to make them other than big brake kit manufacturers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts