SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been running on premi since delivery in May. $3.60 avg these days in NY.
Curious to know what others pump and if they notice any effect on the engine, milage, insects on the windshield, or coffee they buy.

I'm getting 24 around town and 32 OTR (55 plus for periods of time).

Wouldn't mind stepping back to reg if there is no difference to speak of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
been running on premi since delivery in May. $3.60 avg these days in NY.
Curious to know what others pump and if they notice any effect on the engine, milage, insects on the windshield, or coffee they buy.

I'm getting 24 around town and 32 OTR (55 plus for periods of time).

Wouldn't mind stepping back to reg if there is no difference to speak of.
I use ethanol-free 91 exclusively in my V60 RD. It's readily available in my part of the country and is currently only about $3.20/gal. I believe it's "recommended" with the Polestar tune. I haven't tried 87 or 89 to compare...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Search before you post. There are numerous threads on this subject.
+1
This horse has been beaten to death, resurrected then beaten to death again.
If you have a lot of time read through all the threads, otherwise keep pumping premium and forget about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There should be pre-purchase paperwork which states "If you have a turbo, PREMIUM." Then the buyer signs off and seals it in blood." :)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
There should be pre-purchase paperwork which states "If you have a turbo, PREMIUM." Then the buyer signs off and seals it in blood." :)
+1

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't understand why this is always such an issue with people. If you buy a premium car but can't afford the premium fuel then why buy the car? Put in what the manufacturer says. They only say recommended for legal reasons because you can't say only run this or your engine will explode because it isn't true. But recommended means hey this is what fuel the car was designed to run on and if you can't handle it then go buy a Corolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
My wife's XC60 RD and my V60 RD, only uses 92 premium for $2.40 average in Tampa Bay Area Florida. I will never use 87 or 89.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I run 89 mid-grade and it runs fine and has impressive power for a frigging tiny 2 liter. 93 octane seemed to give more umph at higher RPMs, which, driving around Tampa...well, seldom get there. 87 seems a tad de-tuned, but runs fine. 89 is a good compromise and I leave 95% of cars floundering at lights (putting down their "smart" phones, no doubt...) Owner's manual says it runs on anything except diesel and 15%+ ethanol blend, so your choice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for those of you who expressed your displeasure, you could have skipped the thread, I'm so sorry.
For those of you who answered the question, thanks.

I was told that some Volvo owners could be an abrasive lot compared to Saab owners, who were not, at all, in my experience. But really? Why click the thread if you know it's going to annoy you?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wish we had D5's here in the U.S.

Cars or at least Volvos should have a new function (quiet audible alarm/tone, etc) to let the driver know the light turned green. True they should put their phones away or not apply make up. ...additionally an alarm should sound to let the driver know the light is red. I seen some idiots run red lights with their phones blocking their view.

·
Registered
165 Posts
for those of you who expressed your displeasure, you could have skipped the thread, I'm so sorry.
For those of you who answered the question, thanks.

I was told that some Volvo owners could be an abrasive lot compared to Saab owners, who were not, at all, in my experience. But really? Why click the thread if you know it's going to annoy you?
:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts