SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refelctions on the most comfortable seats ever

I've been in my '04 VR for about 3 months now. Overall, I am really pleased with it. I know that Volvo is renowned for their seats, generally, and that many on here have said that the R seat are the most comforatble they have ever sat in. My sense is that the seats, for the day to day, might actually be a little too firm, or at least the bolsters. I know that proper seating is with your legs straight in front of you, not straight-unbent, but straight-not spread wround the steering wheel. Being 6'6", I usually have to do the latter to a certain degree and find that after a while the bolsters rub on my outer legs uncomfortably. if i do try to keep my legs striaght, my knees rise so high that my left knee hits the key fob. so i push the seatbottom back to lower my knees some, but then my arms are stretched out, requiring me to crunch up more by raising the seatback. so after a while i have to lower the seat back and move the seatbottom forward, but then my legs start to rub against the bolsters. there's a circularity here. . . <p>they are defeinitely comfortable for their support, but i think if have to give the award for most comfrtable to my '98 R.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Refelctions on the most comfortable seats ever (pktojd)

A careful upholstorer can open the seat bottoms up, carefully trim about an inch out of the side bolster foam and reattach the leather.<br>I know, I've had this done to mine and it's 100% better

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: Refelctions on the most comfortable seats ever (JRL)

I would still take the new R seats over the old R seats. I've got both cars and I would far prefer to sit in my '06 R over my '98 R. That's not to say that my 98 isn't a good seat. It certainly is, but I did find myself fidgeting a bit on a 500 mile drive. I haven't take that long of a trip in the 06 (longest was about 200 miles) but I would put money on the fact that I would squirm as much in the 06 vs. the 98 R seat.<p>But overall I can understand your thoughts on the firm bolsters...they can be a bit much.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
i can't compare to the old R's but i can compare them to any car i have ever driven / rode in, and they are by far the most comfortable. i get compliments on them all the time.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Refelctions on the most comfortable seats ever (soledoc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>soledoc</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would still take the new R seats over the old R seats. I've got both cars and I would far prefer to sit in my '06 R over my '98 R. That's not to say that my 98 isn't a good seat. It certainly is, but I did find myself fidgeting a bit on a 500 mile drive. I haven't take that long of a trip in the 06 (longest was about 200 miles) but I would put money on the fact that I would squirm as much in the 06 vs. the 98 R seat.<p>But overall I can understand your thoughts on the firm bolsters...they can be a bit much.</TD></TR></TABLE> Naw, more squirming in the new seats vs. the older ones.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: Refelctions on the most comfortable seats ever (NRM8573)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>NRM8573</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it's a matter of your body type</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yep, you nailed it. What fits one person may not fit another. It's all about how <b>you</b> fit in those seats. Personally for me, I love the new R seats. I have a 2000R with the "old" seats and they aren't all the comfy for me. They are great for long distance but they are narrow. Now, I'm a skinny guy and not big by any means. My thighs are mostly on the side bolsters in my car. On the new seats, I just fit perfectly in them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I guess I was spoiled...everyone raves about the R's seats. Before this I had a Mach 1 Mustang and without a doubt those seats were the most comfortable seats my rear end has ever been in. <p>That is not to say that the R's seats are bad...they're pretty good but as snug or comfortable as the Mach 1.<p>Oddly enough, one thing I have heard a lot of people complain about is the headlights on the R; I find them to be great...they provide ample illumination. Guess I have the bizzaro-R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts