SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year I have gotten the front bumper scraped and have noticed a bad touchup job on a scrape in the rear bumper. My Volvo body shop closed, I went to a local shop and he advised replacing both covers, he said they come prepainted and 500 or so for each!!! Am I being sold a bunch of BS, or is it easier from his perspective to simply replace them rather than try and match paints? My vehicle is an 05 ruby red.Thanks JHW

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
It's true. It is BOTH easier for everyone involved and the quality is spectacular. The color match is fantastic. I did both front and rear on my C70 and 960 and plan to do it on my new V70. I recommend this to anyone looking to refinish their bumpers. You can also sell off your old bumpers to someone who is already doing a repaint or who doesn't want them perfect, just better than what they have.

Here's some pictures of the ones I replaced, let me know if you want more:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (LloydDobler)

Lloyd, did you purchase them and install yourself or have a shop do it? Can you ballpark the $$s' involved? Thanks for the photos, both cars look great. Thx JHW

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: (2.4asr)

A shop will charge an hour to install a bumper.
You can get a "bumper" repair guy to paint them on the car, this would be your easiest and cheapest way to go.
Ask any car dealer for the name on one in your area as there would be plenty of them in NJ or look in the yellow pages or Google it:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl...&cd=1

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Re: (2.4asr)

I did 'em myself, it's not hard but there's a little finesse needed, and some stomping. I used the foam they came wrapped in for a pad on my garage floor, kept them scratch free. From what I've seen of the P2 cars they should be even easier to assemble.

On the C70 they were $450 (rear) and $470 (front) shipped, and on the 960 they were $455 and $490 shipped. The 960 came with the headlight plugs and foglight blank plates also painted, but the chrome trim was extra. (found it for $35 apiece, cheapest I could find anywhere).

You can price the V70 covers online at Tasca, or call Waltrip. They look to be about $100 more than either the C70 or 960 from my quick checks. Since you're in NJ just assume at least $50 for shipping, my shipping from Minnesota to Denver was $100 for each one I got. They're in giant U-shaped boxes so they have to go freight.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (LloydDobler)

Thanks Lloyd, I like my my cars just so, just like yourself....evidence the photos...I'm pretty certain JRL has never used the yellow pages or googled a bumper refinisher.... I could be wrong but having read Jims' posts' I'm certain he is as particular about his Volvos' as we are. Again thanks for your information, it is much appreciated,\. JHW

·
Registered
17,015 Posts
fronts are even cheaper now at $320 for the C/V/S70s

not sure on the newer cars

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: (JDR)

Please, Please where can I obtain an OEM (Black) front bumper cover for a 1998 V70r? I want to get for my son-in-law for a Christmas present. I'm at daveatrobbappraisaldotcom.

THANK YOU! http://********************/smile/emlove.gif

·
Registered
7,646 Posts

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: (JDR)

Quote, originally posted by JDR »
Please, Please where can I obtain an OEM (Black) front bumper cover for a 1998 V70r? I want to get for my son-in-law for a Christmas present. I'm at daveatrobbappraisaldotcom.

[email protected]
I mean it IS in your profile you know

Call Darryl Waltrip Volvo in TN best prices in the country

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Didn't realize

I was hoping for a factory front bumper cover for way under the apparently going price of $500.00 His car is looking really good right now, except for the badly cracked front bumper cover. There was mentioned of a place to get them for something over $200.00. I don't want an after market one, only a OEM one.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.