SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 XC90, T6.

Short version:
While changing my timing belt, I removed the computers to get better access. During the process I turned on the ignition and moved it to the Start position. Now, I get Reduced Engine Performance and the last code I was able to retrieve was P1167. Car ran fine before timing belt removal.

How can I clear this? Or does a dealer need to be involved?


More detail:

Before changing the belt, I disconnected the + cables at the underhood fuse box, thinking that it would effectively disconnect the battery (wrong). As mentioned, I had popped out the computers to gain access, since this is simply a stupid job, access-wise.

Since I didn't have an impact wrench for the harmonic balancer nut, I figured I'd try using the breaker-bar-against-the-floor-and-pop-the-starter technique...forgetting that I'd removed the computers. Doh.

I believe this triggered the immobilizer, which I was able to clear using the remote lock+unlock x5 trick.

After I got it buttoned up, I went to start it and got the CEL and Reduced Engine Performance messages. I retrieved the P1167 before my cheap ELM327 device died.

I believe the cam timing is right...I mark the pulleys and old belt, then transfer the marks to the new belt, and everything lined up. (Will do a quickie compression check tomorrow).

Any way to clear this on my own?

The P1167 translates to:
P1167 -- ECM-92CC -- Throttle unit -- Signal too high
P1167 -- ECM-92CD -- Throttle unit -- Signal too low

I do not believe the ETM is faulty, since all was well before my 'fix.'

Any advice on how to clear or diagnose?

Also, the scanner I borrowed (after mine died) won't link...so it's hard for me to get codes now.

TIA...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
55,930 Posts
Do you have access to someone with VIDA and a DICE unit near you? That might be able to further diagnose and clear the codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was set to give up and have the vehicle towed to Nordic Motors here in Cincinnati, but Bill the owner called me before I had the tow arranged. He listened to my situation as described above, and recommended that I re-seat the computers - which I did. And which fixed the issue. I feel foolish about this, but maybe this will help someone some day.

I didn't have the computer removal tool, so when disassembling, I unbolted the base plate and removed the perimeter cover. This let me free up the assembly so I could use a short screwdriver, to push the pink plastic wedge clamps toward the front of the car, which eventually released the computers. No biggie, just a little tight for large hands.

On re-installation, I failed to push the plastic wedge clamps all the way and thus didn't fully seat the computers....they appeared to be seated but were not.. Hint: use a small screwdriver, and push the clamps from the front, just at the back side of the headlight. They wiggle-push the computer downwards, and push each plastic wedge again. Repeat.

So...my hat's off to Bill at Nordic Motors, who essentially talked me through this and therefore himself out of a service job...one thing's for sure, I visit him first next time I need something. Excellent stuff.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
55,930 Posts
Glad it was an "easy" fix!! Definite shout out to Bill at Nordic Motors!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top