SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been posted about before, but my symptoms arent quite the same so i wanted to confirm what to get to fix her.

Drives fine usually. Sometimes at idle it will go into that limp mode and stall. If i start it again it usually just bounces at idle. If i hold the pedal steady she doesnt sound happy. If i drive it, it gets no boost and barely gets around.

I have a slight vac leak under the hood near the top of the motor that has been causing a high idle which throws two codes. This seems unrelated...but, If i clear those codes it gets into boost fine...but i can feel the stuttering pedal performance. Making me think its the TPS. i get no further codes thrown.

Any thoughts on if this is different from the usual "Replace the ETM" stuff?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Miles? Year? What are the codes thrown? Why can’t you fix the vacuum leak? I am thinking throttle body. Has that ever been repaired or replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
So, you've got a vacuum leak that has been causing a high idle which throws codes. When you clear the codes the system is fault free(or so it thinks), there's still a vacuum leak. It will certainly cause a reduction in boost. Fix the vacuum leaks first then see what happens. That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
+1

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
145k. All other details in my sig.

There is no boost leak, really. And yes i know i have to find the vac leak...i only mentioned that because those were the only codes thrown. For lean on bank 1 and excessive high idle rpms.

This reduced performance warning issue has been going on for months, and i thought i fixed it two months ago by cleaning all the terminals on the throttle body (i was in there doing the radiator anyway) and spraying some maf cleaner through the intake. Never came back for two months, until today. So, im thinking the TB is failing. Ive had the car for 70k and its never had it replaced.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant find the leak. Its a loud whistling sound at the top of the motor on the TCV side. I was in there changing a radiator but i didnt go anywhere near those components. Ive traced all the hoses i can see and cant find anything that popped off or tore.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Smoke test it, or spray down the intake hose/all vacuum lines with a carbuerator cleaner. When the idle drops or increases thats where your leak is.

ON your throttle issue - The harness that runs between the throttle can also be the problem. I would do this before replacing a throttle or a harness.

Remove the throttle body. Take a small pocket screw driver and ever-so-slightly bend the pins on the throttle body connection. Clean throttle and re-install with a new gasket. What your doing is tightening the connection. Did this on mine and it solved my issue, no throttle required. This will help eliminate whether or no you'll need a harness or a throttle body.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, forgot about the carb cleaner trick. Good call.

I did clean and ben the pins on the wire going to the throttle body when i was in changing the radiator, but you say there are pins on the inside?
Is there a way to remove the throttle body without taking out the radiator? Will it come out if i just take the fans out? Its tight in there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That link just brings me to a list of all the forum groups. Whats the title, ill search for it?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My mechanic always recommends replacing the pin assembly wiring harness. He says there are always problems if you don’t. He’s the same guy that figured out my crank pulley has slipped a few degrees and fixed my issues with a no start. He said they had only seen that 6 other times in his 25 years as a Volvo Mechanic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yup! Mirroring what Hunter said - The harnesses need replacing from time to time, for a DIY you'll need some tools to remove the pins from the ECM connector. Also have to be extra careful when disassembling the connector. Whenver we clean throttle bodies we never disconnect them anymore...Just rest them on top of the intake and put an old dirty air filter under them and clean away (the filter absorbs any of the cleaner).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can someone link me to the part or have the number?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That works! Thanks all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts