SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the reduced engine performance light come on 4 times in 4 days. After shutting the car off and turning back on all is good. One time the anti-skid light came on in addition. Called my local Volvo mechanics and they said being there was no check engine it's hard to say if the computer stored a code. Can autozone or advance auto scan my car at least to see if a code is stored? The Volvoguys are about 45 minutes each way and I'd have to drop it off after work so I'd hate to spend 3 hours in the car(wife & baby need to come) for them to tell me there isn't a code.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
It doesn't hurt to just drop by at the store and have autozone or advance auto to scan it for you. They don't charge you anything. It could be the fuel pressure sensor but that will give you a code.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Obd2 can see some pending faults that don't trigger the cel, the only way you'll know is to have them scan it. I have a generic Bluetooth obd2 scanner that I got on eBay for like 10 bucks a few years ago, and use the torque app on my phone with it, and it actually helped quite a bit narrowing down an issue that ended up being the fuel pressure sensor on our s40. There were a few pending faults that hadn't triggered the cel that led me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have that exact one. Works great. Just remember that you have to enter the bluetooth pin 1234 within the first ten seconds or so of plugging it in since the OBDII port in the S40 is always on. So plug in, then connect right away via bluetooth.

FWIW, intermittent reduced power could be a dying crank angle sensor. Is it slow to start sometimes?

·
Registered
164 Posts
FWIW, I have seen that when a battery was going. How old is your battery? I've read that "resetting" the ecu by unplugging positive and negative cables and touching them together could clear this code. Don't think that did much for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Called my local Volvo mechanics and they said being there was no check engine it's hard to say if the computer stored a code.
They're idiots. Go somewhere else.

The check engine only lights for emissions-related failures. There are many, many other diagnostics and codes and the MIL/CEL has nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
They're idiots. Go somewhere else.

The check engine only lights for emissions-related failures.
Is this true? The CEL came on when our little mice friends caused the t-belt to skip and the engine was out of timing - the CEL was for the camshaft being over-advanced...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes, codes can be stored or even active with no CEL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, I have seen that when a battery was going. How old is your battery? I've read that "resetting" the ecu by unplugging positive and negative cables and touching them together could clear this code. Don't think that did much for me.
I'm not an expert, but isn't that "shorting" the ECU. Is that safe??

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to Autozone and they couldn't see any stored codes to pull. I'll have to check the battery...but I bet it's 4 years or so? It seems to only be happening within the first several minutes of driving the car in the morning. It's been dropping into the 40's here lately. Hasn't happened anytime I run errands over lunch or on the way home from work.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Is this true? The CEL came on when our little mice friends caused the t-belt to skip and the engine was out of timing - the CEL was for the camshaft being over-advanced...
Absolutely - camshaft timing is a significant emissions issue and will light the indicator. But many other symptoms will never light it, for instance drivetrain problems, brake issues, electrical gremlins, engine faults, you name it.

Here's what it says in the 2012 S40 online owner's manual about the light:

Emissions system

If the symbol illuminates then it

may be due to a fault in the car's

emissions system. Volvo recommends

that you seek assistance

from an authorised Volvo workshop

for inspection.
And 2006:

1. Fault in car’s emissions system

Drive to an authorised Volvo

workshop

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Went to Autozone and they couldn't see any stored codes to pull.
What did they use to pul the codes? I'm guessing it was a generic engine-only scanner. You'll need a pro tool, or Volvo VIDA, to get the important ones. These codes will be in the CEM, not the ECM (where a generic reader can only go).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have that exact one. Works great. Just remember that you have to enter the bluetooth pin 1234 within the first ten seconds or so of plugging it in since the OBDII port in the S40 is always on. So plug in, then connect right away via bluetooth.

FWIW, intermittent reduced power could be a dying crank angle sensor. Is it slow to start sometimes?
I had the same issue with the crank sensor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok well the Volvo guys found a bad cell in my battery...also found an ETM code as well as a fuel pressure switch(think he said switch not regulator?). They thought the battery was causing these two other codes. Put about 50 miles on the car then it acted up a bit under acceleration. Power would cut for a second or two with no lights as before then would continue accelerating again. Drove about 40 more miles and it hasn't happened again. So now I"m guessing in addition to the battery it's the ETM or a fuel issue?

Should I get one of these cheap scanners from Amazon and possibly narrow it down rather than taking it it back for further scanning/work?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a 4 dollar obd2 Bluetooth scanner and use the app torque on my phone and it works great. Or there's the icarsoft scanner that interfaces with Volvo modules on Amazon for 130. I'm planning on getting that. But the Bluetooth is good for straight obd2 codes

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Put about 50 miles on the car then it acted up a bit under acceleration. Power would cut for a second or two with no lights as before then would continue accelerating again. Drove about 40 more miles and it hasn't happened again.
This is quite indicative of the FPS (as mentioned above by pczeilon). My V50 acted this way when the FPS was going out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts