SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Vikings!

So, I've got a 1998 V70 T5 (manual) and I'd ideal like to reduce the shifting throws because they're just a tad too long for my liking. I've read about the horrors of some shift plates, so I was wondering if there are any other (preferably relatively easy) ways of reducing the shift throws.

Also, I don't suppose anyone's managed to find aftermarket shift knobs that fit? Seems Volvo skipped out on the conventional threaded rod, so that narrows things down.

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
When you give up travel, you require more force and tighter tolerances of the entire shift mechanism.

I recommend you check out the shifter cable bushings and the condition of the rubber on the shifter cable bracket, both mounted on the tranny and under the air box. I replaced my excessively worn out shift cable bushings with some custom units I made from Delrin. Shifting became crisper. The rubber on the bracket has seen batter days, but I fear it's a dealer-only part and pretty expensive

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yeah and it fuucks up your linkage and binds it up. If everything is in good condition, nothing feels better than the stock setup, maybe some better cable bushings like noted before.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Delrin (DEL-RIN !!) works great. Aluminum would corrode in short order and bind things up. Snabb makes the out of stainless steel

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I like the long throws. Every shift into 3rd means a new station on the radio. Keeps things interesting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In my 2000 it means random hazard lights! I like how the Snabb shift kit claims you can adjust the shift pattern forward or backward. For a tall person like myself who drives with the seat all the way back, I would like the pattern to be as far back as possible

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the long throws. Every shift into 3rd means a new station on the radio. Keeps things interesting.
In my 2000 it means random hazard lights! I like how the Snabb shift kit claims you can adjust the shift pattern forward or backward. For a tall person like myself who drives with the seat all the way back, I would like the pattern to be as far back as possible

So true! That happens to me all the time if I downshift to third quickly :facepalm:

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
So true! That happens to me all the time if I downshift to third quickly :facepalm:
Yea I pretty much punch the radio on 2-3 upshifts. Changed my grip n the shifter because of this. The issue with the Snabb kit is it changes the geometry to change the arm on the transmission and in doing so the cable angle is changed so they bind. If you modified the bracket they come out of it might work. I believe Hussein shortened his shifter in the car by cutting an inch or so off the rod, but thats going to be a pain in the a** because the handle is pretty much pressed on, not screwed on. If i can score a junkyard shifter i might be able to work out how to make a true short shift kit, not taking the T5 apart for that one just yet.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
CJ makes the tool to remove the handle. I did it on the 855 I had. But it's still a whoore to do. Lots of swearing and throwing things will be involved.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,457 Posts
If someone wants to try the SNABB short shift plate, I have one available to sell for cheap, say $30 shipped?

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
I only think you need to gown a half inch on shifter height. Then it's level with the armrest

·
Registered
271 Posts
Asa side note, why did Volvo figure they need to put an enormous hazard light switch right THERE that engages when released, as opposed to being pushed in. I think if you sneezed on it it would pop out! They were just fine with the 850 placement

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Why not put it on the top of the console. It's not bad where it is aesthetically but they got it right with the P2

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Also the thin plastic tabs often break on the hazard light switch causing one or both clips to drop out and then the switch doesn't stay put. I think I have a 500 year supply of these switches now from pulling them from JYs in Sweden but I'm sure people will need them someday.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Will, my interior light dimmer switch is like that, broken retension tabs, and so are all the ones I've looked at in the local Pick 'n Pull. So far the hazard light monstrosity is holding up well...

I sure do dislike that friggin' huge hazard light switch :thumbdown:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here's the shift bushings I made for my 2000 S70. They are different from all previous years of P80 cars. One is white Delrin, the other gray mystery polymer (PVC maybe?)

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Will, my interior light dimmer switch is like that, broken retension tabs, and so are all the ones I've looked at in the local Pick 'n Pull. So far the hazard light monstrosity is holding up well...

I sure do dislike that friggin' huge hazard light switch :thumbdown:
Im in volvo junkyard mecca right now. Up in rhode island for a project. Want me to make a pass through pick n pull for a dimmer switch with good tabs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts