SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

My family owns a 2010 XC60 T6. We are the original owners and it is completely stock. Over the years, we have had issues with dead batteries, necessitating several jump starts, especially in the Virginia winters. Last October, however, after the most recent dead-battery, I knew the time had arrived to replace the original OEM battery, so I had it replaced with a brand new Interstate Battery. Keep in mind, I now live in southern Alabama, where we have pretty mild winters.

We just returned from a three day trip to the beach only to discover that our Volvo was dead again. All the doors were locked, all lights were off, and we didn't leave any devices plugged in (although we do, habitually leave an iPhone USB cable plugged in under the armrest in the armrest USB port). I can't imagine a simple USB cable killing a practically brand new battery in the course of three to four days though...

This car is primarily my wife's daily driver. She usually drives it ever day or two at a minimum. Again, it has a brand new battery.

So WTF?!?!

What is killing our XC's battery so quickly? I've verified that all overhead lights were off and that the doors were all closed, including the rear hatch.

I just jump-started the car and it started right up after a few minutes of charging. In fact, as soon as I connected the terminals to my booster battery, we had electrical power restored tot he cabin. I then had my wife restart the car about five times in succession....no problems; fired right up without hesitation. Then, about 10 minutes later, I went back to the car to open the rear hatch and...nothing! Dead as a doornail! :mad:

I'm at a loss.

I've heard that some cars have a device or system onboard which helps store cabin settings, such as seat and mirror positions and radio/GPS presets that requires a very minimal amount of power, but supposedly has an onboard battery...could this system be the culprit, or does it even exist?

Again, I'm at a total loss. This problem has plagued my family over the years, but Volvo has been unable to identify the problem. With a new battery, I can't imagine how or why the car is going dead in just a matter of a few days of sitting idle.

Any feedback or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. Will check today. Haven't noticed any "updating" messages before though...

I also wonder about the theft deterrent systems...I notice that the little flashing red on the dash light always when the car is locked. Is it possible that this system might be the culprit? Likewise, is there a way to verify if the glove-box light is staying on even when closed?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I am sure you checked this because it is so obvious, but are you sure the new battery is fully charged and all cells are good? I am not an electrical person, but it can be checked how much juice is being drawn when the car is off so you might check that. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reward2: I removed the battery from the car today, but was unable to locate the electrolyte cells on this battery. It is an Interstate variety and does have electrolyte, but I couldn't find the cells. With that said, the battery is only 5 months old. With regular use, this isn't a problem, but when the car sits for (apparently) more than three days, it discharges the battery somehow. Personally, I'm beginning to think this may be the result of the theft deterrent system's activation/status light (flashing red light on the dash) draining the battery somehow.

I've confirmed the glove box light is NOT staying on when closed (took a video with my iPhone locked inside the glove box...). Likewise, I was unable to locate the Sat1/Sat2 menu mentioned by thebracko. I went through all of my stereo and GPS menus, but couldn't locate that option or menu.

Still at a loss. I jump started the car again and then went out for about 45 minutes of spirited driving in the country side to give the alternator a good amount of time at highway speeds and under loads (hills) to charge. Just returned home and the car started up three times in succession. Will check again, after the car has sat for a few hours to see if there is any noticeable difference.

Again, any suggestions or insight are welcome. This is my wife's daily driver and the one she is most competent at driving. She and my daughter depend on this car and I hope to get this issue resolved post-haste.

WaS

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Something is definitely wrong. Nothing like you've mentioned should drain a healthy battery over 3 days.

If you're desperate enough, try http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/basic-battery-drain-troubleshooting-101-a-42655/

Basically you figure out how much is getting drawn from you battery when the car is off, then start checking fused circuits one by one until you find the one causing the draw. Once you figure out which circuit it is, you can look on the wiring diagram and narrow it down further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 2010 V50 had a similar issue... There was a short or something in the satellite radio that caused the battery to drain. They disconnected the satellite radio, all better... The repAir would have been $1000 for a new module...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starting to think the issue is one of two options: either a bad battery (after all, even name brand batteries are mass produced, often overseas, and are subject to manufacturing flaws), or perhaps a voltage regulator on the alternator...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
partridge: I suspected there might be a way to diagnose this issue with the fuses, but wouldn't have known how to do it without the link to the thread you provided. Much appreciated! It does look like a tedious process, but is a fairly inexpensive one. I do not own a voltmeter, but know where I can borrow one, so this may be something I'll attempt this week, before I take my battery back to the vendor to ask them to check it out. Interestingly enough, however, today I did discover some liquid seepage on the side of my battery. Note: my car sat garaged, in a dry garage for the last week. As such, I suspect I may have a faulty battery.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My wife's 2015 XC60 RD battery is also not holding a charge. I'm currently in a Volvo waiting room to get a diagnosis.

**Edit**

They did some tests and everything came back positive, but they knew something was wrong. They are replacing it with a new battery.

·
Registered
103 Posts
similar issues with my 2009 T6 down here in Brazil. Obviously winters are not an issue...

We have gone through 3 batteries in 4.5 years...they have all been top of the line (for Brazil), and they have all been replaced due to "defects". I obviously didnt complain, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is the car that is causing the problem, and not 3 random faulty batteries...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm taking my 2015.5 in for the same reason tomorrow. Had them check the battery 2 weeks ago and they said it was good and just charged it and the day after my Volvo said low battery. Hope they fix it this time

Later gents

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2011 XC60 at the dealer again today for the "Low Battery Warning". They replaced the battery for the third time. I only drove the car about 800 miles since the last replacement in December 2015. The dealer said there is nothing wrong with the car - I am just not driving it enough. They suggested I get a "Battery Minder" because of the way I drive it. They had updated the software last time for the radio problem - so it is not the radio problem mentioned on other posts. The checked for shorts and that the alternator is working. How much do I have to drive to maintain a charge on this car, Never had this problem with any other Volvo I owned (8). Would appreciate any suggestions. Has anyone found a solution for this problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm not sure that there is a software update or patch for the radio battery drain. I was told that it was a cable that had to be removed/unhooked.

There is a recovery process and software update for the RDAR (Sat radio module). Alternatively, you can "loop out" the RDAR with a MOST loop connector. Either works, but the loop out will make sat radio unavailable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ho[e this is answer to my Xc60 Battery drain problem

There is a recovery process and software update for the RDAR (Sat radio module). Alternatively, you can "loop out" the RDAR with a MOST loop connector. Either works, but the loop out will make sat radio unavailable.
My 2010Xc60 AWD with SAT Radioo, City Safe Radar eats Batterries. It is a Dealer CPO car . it had a 125K, 84 month service life.

Owned in since 2012 However since 2012 to 2018 it has gone through 6 Auto Batteries

Most of those were (48) AGM 770 cca batteries labeled Duracell. However Interstate battery I put in car for 1 month from Costco didn't even last 28 days & car was sitting most of that time.!!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If the RDAR is waking up network repeatedly then it kills battery when car is not used. If you drive it regularly the RDAR issue drains battery but it will still start but the repeated heavy discharge will shorten battery life. Alternators do not charge a deeply discahrged battery. That jump it off and go drive it to charge battery thing does bring battery back to a higher charge but not a full charge and it will not overcome sulfation of deeper discharge. Newer models with the battery monitor sensor do a better job of recovering battery but still not as good as a lengthy low rate charge with a battery charger. Alternators can't low amperage with higher voltage charge a battery. The higher voltage comes with higher amperage. High amp and higher voltage will not bring battery back to higher state of charge. Then battery suffers short life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.