SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a trip a few months ago, I noticed that increasing effort was required for braking efficiency. Several quick pedal pumps corrected it initially, but the problem worsened over the course of the trip.<p>My brother and I bled the brakes at our destination, which corrected the problem for 7-10 days. Got home okay. Then the problem slowly returned.<p>Dealer changed front flex hoses, beld system again. Worked fine for 7-10 days.<p>Dealer then replaced master cylinder, bled brakes again. Worked fine 7-10 days.<p>Problem is slowly returning again.<p>No brake warning light. (it works)<br>No ABS warning light. (it works)<br>No brake fluid loss.<br>Pads are fine.<br>All rotor surfaces clean and shinny, inner and outer.<p>Is there any other way for air to get into the system without fluid loss? Any suggestions on what to try next? Dealer is stumped, so we might have to replace component by component, which is both time-consuming and very expensive.<p>Thanks for any suggestions any of you might have. <p><br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Recurring brake problem - 95 850 turbo wagon (Maz)

If you think you've bled the brakes PROPERLY, check the booster for small leakage.<br>

·
Registered
30 Posts
maz... your rotors shouldnt be shinny at all. that can cause brake squeal and more pedal effort to stop. u need to have your rotors turned. they should have a dull look to them.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: Recurring brake problem - 95 850 turbo wagon (JRL)

how would you go about checking the booster for leaks?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Recurring brake problem - 95 850 turbo wagon (lax01)

Not sure.<br>Not even sure you can except replace it as a last resort<br>You also could have a bad caliper that hangs up or has a very slight leak, this can also cause your symptoms<br>(not as easy to find as you may think, go to a place that specializes in brakes)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: Recurring brake problem - 95 850 turbo wagon (JRL)

A Tech at VolvoSpeed mentioned the actuator rod that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder may need adjustment.<p>The master cylinder may be bad as well (my comment)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts