SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

First let me apologize for the length of my first post but my dealer couldn't offer a solution to, what I thought, would be a fairly common problem.

Our first Volvo (2020 XC40 T5 Inscription) should be here at the end of the month. It's the first vehicle we've purchased in 13 years and our first exposure to remote keys. After reading the owners manual, and searching various online forums, I cannot find an answer to this question: How can I drive my car home if I lose the remote (FOB)?

I understand that I’d need another FOB. I would like to hide a spare FOB in the car. Where I’m confused is in the fact that when I lock the car, the spare FOB I’ve hidden in the car is deactivated (pg 218). If I unlock the car with the mechanical key (a spare that I would have in my wallet), the car’s alarm will go off (pg 226). The manual states that if you unlock the car with another FOB, the deactivated FOBs left in the car would be reactivated but it doesn't say if unlocking the car with the mechanical key would also reactivate any FOBs in the vehicle. If using the mechanical key sets off the alarm, I doubt it would reactivate any FOBs in the car, but I could be wrong. In addition, it seems that after the alarm has been activated for some time, Volvo on Call will declare the car stolen.

So my questions are: (1) If I call VOC and have them unlock my car, will they also reactivate the spare hidden FOB? Even if this is true its not a great solution in Vermont where cell phone service is spotty in much of the state. (2) If I had taken the battery out of the spare FOB the car wouldn’t know it’s in the car so it couldn’t be deactivated and thus if I unlocked the car with a mechanical key, I could then put the battery in the spare FOB which would then be recognized by the car and I could drive away. Can you leave the battery out of a valid FOB for a long time (possibly years) and expect it to work when the battery is replaced? (3) Maybe I could just wrap the spare FOB in aluminum foil so no signal could be detected by the car and thus it would not be deactivated when left in a locked car.

There must be some process that would allow you to recover from losing your FOB.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you're locked out of your vehicle, don't you want your "spare" fob hidden somewhere on the exterior of car? If you really need "on the spot insurance" against losing your fob, and can afford to hide the 2nd fob, you could get it a weatherproof metallic container and hide it somewhere secure on the underside of car.

Volvo has a "slow" system to replace a lost key fob, but you need to prove ownership at the dealer and pay $400+.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pbierre, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I'd trust the magnets to stay on the car and I'm not sure that the car wouldn't deactivate a remote attached to the outside of the car as well as on the inside. I realize an extra FOB and is pricey, but in VT its not hard to be miles away from civilization and $400 doesn't sound too bad compared to a very long walk.

If you're locked out of your vehicle, don't you want your "spare" fob hidden somewhere on the exterior of car? If you really need "on the spot insurance" against losing your fob, and can afford to hide the 2nd fob, you could get it a weatherproof metallic container and hide it somewhere secure on the underside of car.

Volvo has a "slow" system to replace a lost key fob, but you need to prove ownership at the dealer and pay $400+.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thinking a bit more about this, I would design a license plate holder that houses the spare fob behind it. The fob would be wrapped in foil, and tucked in a plastic ziplock bag. Easy to get to, and impossible to fall out.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
If you're prone to losing things have you considered a Tile or other tracking device? You could experiment with foil around the key you leave behind. I'd imagine if you wrapped it and put it in the glove box it wouldn't be read/deactivated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pbierre, That would probably work.

DFrantz, A Tile is also an option. I'm not sure why this worries me so much, I've never lost a key in my life (probably shouldn't have said that) :)

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts