SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to freshen up the ignition system on my 122s... opinions? If you have a particular plug recommendation to match that would be great too.

Thanks,
Ross

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Wanting to freshen up the ignition system on my 122s... opinions? If you have a particular plug recommendation to match that would be great too.

Thanks,
Ross
Rereading your 122 ignition threads/posts I have some questions...

Are you running a distributor with vacuum controls? Does the drive shaft wobble when you wiggle the rotor?

Do you plan to source a different distributor or run what you brung?

Is this car a B18 with Weber? B18D? Stock coil?

If you plan to keep and drive this car long-term (YES!) consider replacing the distributor unless you feel it is ok for your needs.

Next, decide if you want to run an aftermarket ignition system with new coil. If so the Pertronix with Bosch Blue coil (built-in ballast) is the way to go to include all new ignition wires.

Spark plug application depends on how you set up the ignition as the Pertronix and hotter coil will allow you more adjustments to ignition timing, fuel settings and plug gap.

George Dill

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current distributor runs with a vacuum advance, no wobble in the shaft.

I just received points, condensor, rotor and cap which I will install over the weekend... meaning short-term is a run what I brung situation. Having said that I might venture electronic at some point in time.

It is indeed a B18 with Weber and what appears to be stock coil.

Is Bosch Blue coil still the way to go here and if so is there a particular model/part # to look for?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm very partial to the 1975 240 distributor as used on the B20F. Works great with the B18, has an acceptable advance curve and is very reliable. Be sure and get the wiring, module and coil that go with it. Modules and coils from early B21s also work OK. Good, STRONG spark!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a part number(s) for that distributor?

Is replacing the original style coil recommended, one way or another then? Anyone else for the Bosch Blue coil?

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Thanks,
Ross
Here is my take...

Following replacement of ignition components you must re-time the engine. Best to start with correctly set valve clearance and a smooth idle on the Weber before ignition work.

If the coil on your '66 Amazon is original or of unknown condition replace it with a Bosch Blue coil as this coil will work with any future ignition upgrades including electronic units.

Since you have decided to run with new points, condenser, etc. in the existing distributor consider plugging the vacuum ports both on the distributor and on the manifold/connection. Don't leave the vacuum hose in place.

It is much easier to do this tune-up with the distributor removed from the engine. Turn the crank until the #1 cylinder is TDC before removing the distributor and don't move from this setting until the unit is back in place.

Carefully remove the breaker plate (don't lose those tiny screws!) and clean up/lube (not grease) the advance weights and springs. This is a good time to shoot some oil in the hole under that knurled thumb wheel.

Set the point gap at 0.018" and put a tiny glob of grease on the rubbing block. Make absolutely certain that the isolating spacer in that hole in the wall of the distributor is in the correct position as this is what prevents the points from shorting.

Now, about that ignition system from a '75 240. 1975 was the only USA year that the 240 had the B20 engine. That is why the system will work in any B18/20. Not that many years back one could find such a car in the weeds behind every-other gas station in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Those days are gone. If you did find a salvage unit the possibility is very good that the distributor would be worn.

Spark plugs - go to your local parts house and buy the cheapest plug that crosses to Champion L87YC.

About a "...strong spark...".

Using correctly installed new contact points and condenser (of the correct application) and correctly gapped plugs with all ignition wires in good order (including that short wire from the coil to the distributor) your Amazon will receive a strong spark based solely on the condition of the coil. This would be true for the 240 system also. The coil makes all the spark. That is why the battery and electrical system should be ok before starting a tune-up.

Looking here...

http://volvo1800pictures.com/sweden/Volvo_1800_dokumentation_main_page_en.php

...you will see many docs that apply to your Amazon.

My apologies if you know all this already.

George Dill

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
The Bosch Blue coil works fine, and you don't need to add an external ballast.

For plugs, use NGK BP6HS (my preference) or Bosch W7BC, gapped to .028".

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
One I have in my garage has the following numbers on it: 0 237 002 003 JGFU4.
If you get to the donor car get the wiring, module and coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts