SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be dropping the rear and front subframe to replace the bushings and need a floor press. There is a H frame floor standing 12 ton or a A frame bench 6 ton at Harbor Freight. I am moving toward the 12 ton.

What do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I’ll be dropping the rear and front subframe to replace the bushings and need a floor press. There is a H frame floor standing 12 ton or a A frame bench 6 ton at Harbor Freight. I am moving toward the 12 ton.

What do you guys use?

I got the 20 ton. I've used it to do my front lca bushings and also to straighten out a bent ball joint press tool (big C clamp) that I bent when trying to press out some rear bushings. There's a coupon for 40 bucks off right now so it'd be $150. So far I've had no issues with it. I wouldn't bother with the 6 ton for sure that's just me though. I'm sure 12 would be enough but when a 20 ton is only 150 I'd just go for that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Toolrecommendation4toolrecommendation, do you use air tools and do you have a cheaper compressor that keeps up with 1/2" impact gun that you recommend? Haha.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks TristanScott. Road trip and printed out the coupon. I have a standing compressor that is a few years old for my framing nailer and other wood tools. I am looking for a smaller one more mobile. I see HF has a 1/3hp 100psi for about $45 that I was going to check out and try with my impact gun. I’m not sure it will be enough. We shall see

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks TristanScott. Road trip and printed out the coupon. I have a standing compressor that is a few years old for my framing nailer and other wood tools. I am looking for a smaller one more mobile. I see HF has a 1/3hp 100psi for about $45 that I was going to check out and try with my impact gun. I’m not sure it will be enough. We shall see

Yeah from what I read I doubt it. I've read that they soak up like 6ish CFM but if you had a tank that was large enough and you were only using it in short bursts I would assume it would be okay even if the pump only put out <6cfm which most cheaper compressors do. I've heard HF's new 1/2" impact guns are actually pretty decent. Some guys on YouTube did teardowns of them and were impressed.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is why I have a VR.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven’t bought or shopped for compressors in years. Nix on that $45 donut. Way too small! This is more like it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I haven’t bought or shopped for compressors in years. Nix on that $45 donut. Way too small! This is more like it.

Nice! Let me know how loud that guy is. HF has a lot of decent CFM compressors but everyone says they're loud AF.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You don't need a press for this job... Are you using powerflex rear bushings?

·
Registered
527 Posts
An air hammer/chisle most come out in 1 minute, and or pry bar. I only struggled with one, because the car was too high on the rack..

I have a 20 ton in the shop, imo the only thing on the car its useful for is the rear bushing on front CA, but a large C clamp with cups can do it the same.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
An air hammer/chisle most come out in 1 minute, and or pry bar. I only struggled with one, because the car was too high on the rack..

I have a 20 ton in the shop, imo the only thing on the car its useful for is the rear bushing on front CA, but a large C clamp with cups can do it the same.
I'm doing this job right now and I've used a very large c clamp/ball joint tool to press them out. It could only do the smallest one straight away. The next size up bushing bent the c clamp and that's with pressing it out in correct direction and soaking it with pentrating oil for days. I'm having to drill holes in the rubber, remove the center metal pin to relieve some pressure and then they come out with the c clamp. There's no way you can pry bar any of these out at least on my car, these fckers were stuck! Air hammer is a good idea though, wish I had air tools going into this. I stripped a large heavy duty vice trying to do my lca bushings in the past and that's why I got the press. So far it's definitely been worth it.
Just throwing my experience out there because you make it sound a lot easier than my experience suggests but you're probably a better mechanic haha.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to discount the amazingness of the VR (i'd love to have one someday) I got my harbor freight 20 ton press home by folding down the rear seats of my SR.
Agreed on that one. It’s an R and a Volvo. It’s my belief they work with ikea in all their designs. I have never had a box not fit from them in my wagons. lOL.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It’s an R and a Volvo. It’s my belief they work with ikea in all their designs.
*mindblown*

k, so tool talk continued, i have a 50gal compressor, 3/8" air ratchets, grinders, etc. and an old electric impact gun I used to do tires, etc. but I've never bothered getting 1/2" impact. With the HF 1/2" air getting rave reviews and constant coupons, it's conceivable to have it for ~$100 sometimes. That said, Dewalk MAX XR 20V 1/2" impact go on sale during blackfriday and can be had for $165 rn. Is it even worth it to stay with air tools these days? Does anyone want a v70r with the electric polestar is coming?

·
Registered
796 Posts
*mindblown*

k, so tool talk continued, i have a 50gal compressor, 3/8" air ratchets, grinders, etc. and an old electric impact gun I used to do tires, etc. but I've never bothered getting 1/2" impact. With the HF 1/2" air getting rave reviews and constant coupons, it's conceivable to have it for ~$100 sometimes. That said, Dewalk MAX XR 20V 1/2" impact go on sale during blackfriday and can be had for $165 rn. Is it even worth it to stay with air tools these days? Does anyone want a v70r with the electric polestar is coming?
I don't have a compressor so i'm stuck with power tools. I have a Dewalt DW059 18v 1/2" with 300ft/lb torque (among other dewalt tools) and it get's everything done that I need and I can take it with me. Perfect for wheels! Air tools are great when you have a capable compressor to use but cordless lets you take your tools anywhere.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't need a press for this job... Are you using powerflex rear bushings?
Yes on the front and back. I am picking up a additional front and rear subframe for the power flex. With the originals I am putting in all new OEM bushings. When it comes time to put her back to original then I’ll be ready.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts