SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 S70 2.3 turbo and just need to replace the front and rear brake pads --- mine are worn and starting to squeak (I even got a ticket because I rolled a stop sign because I get annoyed when I come to a complete stop). <p>No big deal, right...Well, when I start reading threads about Volvo brakes I get WAAYYY more information than I thought I needed. My mechanic recommends I stick with OEM. But I find different OEM makers: Textar, Jurid, Dan-Block... My Dealer says he doesn't know who makes the brake pads. "They just come in a Volvo box". (The Parts Guy, not the Mechanic).<p>On this forum I see all kinds of other ideas. Hawk. Porterfields. ??? I just want good, reliable, non-squeaking brakes.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Recommended brake pads for a Volvo Rookie (Runner53)

IPD has a bunch of different options. They say that their "Deluxe Plus" PBR pads are "Good = Factory Style Replacement" Part # DJD1261D If you are just looking for a regular replacement pad that is probably a good choice.<p>All their pads now come with Anti-Squeal Shims and they are great company to deal with.<p><A HREF="http://ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1551&NodeID=4943&RootID=629" TARGET="_blank">http://ipdusa.com/ProductsCat....D=629</A><p><br>Their website is not very good, I would recommend calling them and ordering a catalog and ordering over the phone.<p>In their catalog they do recommend replacing the rotors with the pads for best results, and if you do that they offer a 1 year warranty.<br>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Recommended brake pads for a Volvo Rookie (gdogg16)

But here is where it gets confusing in a more practical ($$$) way.<p>Front Pads<br> Dealer in my town = $83.93<br> Dealer in a different town = $74.53<br> MySwedishParts.com ("Genuine" Volvo parts) = $59.50<br> TheVolvoSite.com ("Genuine" Volvo parts) = $68.00<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (Textar OEM) = $60.78<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (PBR) = $60.60<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (Dan-Block OEM) = $78.54<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (Jurid OEM) = $54.95<p>The same goes with the Rear Pads. So, I stick with OEM or Genuine, but I see at least 4 different manufacturers and a price differential of $28.98 --> A 53% variation from $54.95 to $83.93. Of course, you can see who's the highest. <p>Can someone help me figure this out?<p>P.S. I know about the dust problem (Have since I bought the car in 2003.). I accept it as a small side-effect to being priveleged to own a Volvo.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Re: Recommended brake pads for a Volvo Rookie (gdogg16)

Stick with the Volvo OEM pads, in the box labeled Volvo. They are great for all use and will keep your mind at rest. In a combined 400k miles with my various 850 and 70 series cars...these are all I've used. No problems as long as they are shimmed and lubed.<p>Cheers,<br>Prospero<p>

·
Registered
4,395 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Runner53</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br> Dealer in my town = $83.93<br> Dealer in a different town = $74.53<br> MySwedishParts.com ("Genuine" Volvo parts) = $59.50<br> TheVolvoSite.com ("Genuine" Volvo parts) = $68.00<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (Textar OEM) = $60.78<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (PBR) = $60.60<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (Dan-Block OEM) = $78.54<br> AutoPartsWarehouse.com (Jurid OEM) = $54.95<p><br>Can someone help me figure this out?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>#1, 2, 3 and 4 are <i>probably</i> the same. #3 and 4 might have shipping charges #2 might take you more time to get.<p>The others are probably "oem spec" and not actually in a Volvo Box.<p>If you are going to have these done at a local Volvo Dealer, just get the pads from them. <p>If you are going to an Indy shop then just get the cheapest (after tax and shipping "Genuine" Volvo pads (1-4) and bring them to him.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Go to E-bay and check out the online store for foreigncarpartsonline. This is actually FCP Groton (fcpgroton.com) a great company to do business with. They have an S70/V70/C70 "ultimate brake upgrade kit" that included Zimmermann cross drilled rotors, Mintex 'dustless' pads, shims, silicone lube and stainless steel brake lines for $355. Just ordered the kit, will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Recommended brake pads for a Volvo Rookie (volvdog)

Mintex Red Box work just as well as the OEM pads, and generate an order of magnitude less dust (but, not dustless)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Recommended brake pads for a Volvo Rookie (Mk1Racer)

I wanna thank all you Volvo junkies for the input, advice and suggestions. That's one of the fringe benefits of owning a Volvo of my own... Makes me feel like I'm in some pretty "out of the ordinary" company (and I mean that in the BEST of ways).<p>I'm gonna go get my brake pads tomorrow. Gotta pick up a Schrader Valve, too. Darn Volvo A/C seems to need my lovin' every season. I just hope I can hold out on the Evaporator for at least a little while. I've heard that's a REAL nightmare.<p>C'Ya all later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts