SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations for tire brands for my 2011 S40? I need two good tires that won't be too expensive, that I can get fairly easily here in the U.S.

I have V grade Michelins now, that I think were the original tires.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
81 Posts
TireRack.com, enter your tire size info, and go by the reviews and tests there.

I have Hankook Ventus S1's and have been satisfied with them for the last 15K or so. Other popular tires with this site include Michelin Pilot Sport and Continental Extreme Contact.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
284 Posts
I have Yokohama S.Drives on mine. I really like them, but they're fairly soft tires, so they won't last super long.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I love the traction of the DWS's in all types of weather (dry, rain, snow), I just wish they had stiffer sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If you are looking for an all season tire, I highly recommend the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is also very good and has a pit better for performance in wet, dry and feel but not as good in snow.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my other car for about three weeks and had to exchange them out. The DWS was too mushy due to its soft sidewall design. They ride like a Buick and floats like a boat. Cornering is like you're about to flip. But maybe my Audi was too heavy for it. Back to Contisport Contacts and they handle like it's on rails.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Personally I like Goodyear tires, although not a fan fave around here. I've been running their Eagle Sport A/S on my S80/S60 for several years, just put a second set on the S60 after getting 4+ years out of the first set. I need all-seasons for our crazy rainy summers. These tires cut the ponding on the roads very well and have a nice comfortable ride https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-sport-all-season

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my V50 now, and am 60k into the set... they still have 4/32's left, probably good for another 10k at least. Worth noting that I'm not at all kind to them either, but they're still smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would go with a summer performance tire. Never been a big fan of all season, because they aren't all season their 3 season, they're just as bad in the snow as performance tires. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are popular and probably the best performance tire for the street you can get. Continental Extreme Contact DW are very popular. Just depends on what you are looking for, more performance oriented or a smoother ride.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I have Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my V50 now, and am 60k into the set... they still have 4/32's left, probably good for another 10k at least. Worth noting that I'm not at all kind to them either, but they're still smooth and quiet.
These are on the C30 (from the factory) and at 24k they are still quiet. They are near worn, but the previous owner ran them way too high (like 46 psi) which I assume wore them so fast. i will buy them again given the lack of noise and even wear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Nokian WRG3's have been great since I got them about a year ago. Amazing all-season tires.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
284 Posts
My mom just bought Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's for her 09 S60 2.5T, and so far, they're awesome. And they're supposed to have a good tread life, which is always a plus. Very grippy!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought myself some michelin pilots maybe 3-4 weeks ago and have to say I love them so far. Super quiet and performance is great. Car is glued to the road.

...and they look damn fine too! haha

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I got to try out some high speed dry braking with the Pilot Sport A/S3 today. A car was broken down on the shoulder of I95 with a police car assisting. Then a flat bed hauler decides he is going to cut across 3 lanes of traffic and hitting his brakes to get the potential customer. I had to slam on the brakes at 65mph. The brakes on these cars are fantastic and the tires stuck like glue. I really hope the police officer reamed him for almost causing an accident.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (A/S3) for me - 6 months and 5K in, quiet + super grippy in dry and wet conditions. They won't likely see snow as I will be swapping the wheels/tires off for my winter set in a few weeks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 All seasons. Quiet, great grip, excellent in the rain and good in the snow.

I had DWS previously and was pretty unimpressed in every aspect. They did look cooler though.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I had two sets of DWS. The first set was noisy and numb feeling but the 2nd set was much better. They do make changes to them over time. The latest came out last spring and is called the DSW06. ... "We’ve maintained excellent snow traction while making improvements in wet traction, dry handling and tread life. " I'd be curious.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I can tell you what NOT to get ... Nexen tires. When we bought the S40 almost a year ago the two-bit dealer had just put a brand new set on the car. At first I thought this was good, but they are really cheap, price-wise and quality-wise, and they're extremely noisy too. Standard oem issue tires on Kia's if that tells you anything. Even though they have a lot of tread life remaining I'm getting to ditch them for the GY Eagle Sport's once I replace my front strut mounts (and struts too). I also picked up a perfect set of Serapis wheels a few months ago just for this occasion to replace the stock Sculptor's.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I love the conti dws, that's my tire recommendation of choice. We just put them in my gf's 06 s40, we even got a 100 dollar off visa card from conti a few weeks after filling out the rebate online.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts