SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and Just wanted to say "hi". I just picked up a 2002 V70XC for my sons, they're 17 year old twins. I figured this would be great first car in terms of safety reliability and lots of cargo for lacrosse and snowboard gear. It will also be a good car for them to learn how to maintain and repair.

It has almost 99k miles on it. Interior and exterior are really clean. The engine is noisy on cold starts and acceleration until it warms up, then it smooths out. Suspension is super loose and floaty. I have almost no service records so we have no idea what was done or when.

I've already purchased new fluids, filters, and plugs. I want to check the PCV as well and will likely replace all engine, transmission, and subframe mounts before winter. Everything will be replaced with OEM parts too.

I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Probably needs a breather system change, possibly a clean out with SEAFOAM, new spark plugs, all filters, (air, cabin, fuel), etc.
Timing belt is way overdue and if there is no sticker on the engine stating it was changed you have some major work to do NOW

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably needs a breather system change, possibly a clean out with SEAFOAM, new spark plugs, all filters, (air, cabin, fuel), etc.
Timing belt is way overdue and if there is no sticker on the engine stating it was changed you have some major work to do NOW
I thought timing belt was due around 115k? But yes, I definitely need to check.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I thought timing belt was due around 115k? But yes, I definitely need to check.
From what I have read, not much has changed to the belt-end of the engines made in 2004 when the interval increased all the way to 115K and 1998, when the interval was 70K. The tensioner and idler pulley are essentially the same and those parts really are only going to be reliable for 70-80K after that, its a crap-shoot as to when one of them will seize.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
70K to 105K in late 1998 to 120K in 2004
NEVER 115K and always 10 years (whichever comes first).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this just moved to the top of my list.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah moved to top of mine when I found out. Was at around 117k w/11 years use when I had it done a month ago. Yikes.

·
Registered
17,445 Posts
Antherzoll is an overachiever. That's a good thing!😀

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recommend that the timing belt and tensioners be done immediately, flush the transmission immediately and add a filter.
Check/replace other dirty or worn fluids (differentials, haldex, engine, power steering, and coolant)
Replace front control arm bushings (all 4 of them) or control arms
Check lower ball joints for any play (if there is ANY movement they are BAD) and check inner and outer tie rods for play (if there is ANY movement they are BAD)
Check/replace the front lower "dogbone" engine mount (chances are it's toast)
Check/replace the upper engine mount
Verify that front and rear engine mounts are not collapsed/worn/broken (chances are good that they are smoked at 100k)
Check subframe mounts for slop/wear/missing pieces

I had two 02 XC70s at one point in time and this is pretty much what I had to check and replace. One had 100k on it and the other has 200k on it. I would say you need to make sure the engine and transmission are squared away because timing is serious and these transmissions are notorious for failing because of poor maintenance. On a lighter note, you can fix a hard shifting transmission by rebuilding or replacing the shift solenoids.I rebuilt mine and it was mint after that... big job though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recommend that the timing belt and tensioners be done immediately, flush the transmission immediately and add a filter.
Check/replace other dirty or worn fluids (differentials, haldex, engine, power steering, and coolant)
Replace front control arm bushings (all 4 of them) or control arms
Check lower ball joints for any play (if there is ANY movement they are BAD) and check inner and outer tie rods for play (if there is ANY movement they are BAD)
Check/replace the front lower "dogbone" engine mount (chances are it's toast)
Check/replace the upper engine mount
Verify that front and rear engine mounts are not collapsed/worn/broken (chances are good that they are smoked at 100k)
Check subframe mounts for slop/wear/missing pieces

I had two 02 XC70s at one point in time and this is pretty much what I had to check and replace. One had 100k on it and the other has 200k on it. I would say you need to make sure the engine and transmission are squared away because timing is serious and these transmissions are notorious for failing because of poor maintenance. On a lighter note, you can fix a hard shifting transmission by rebuilding or replacing the shift solenoids.I rebuilt mine and it was mint after that... big job though.
I've already done the transmission fluid and have been waiting for over a week for the rain to stop so I can get to other things. We recently moved and I don't have a garage anymore so I'm kinda working on Mother Nature's schedule.:thumbdown:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts