SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2005 S60R, Titanum, 6 speed, stock. It has about 180K miles and needs some work. I have a few questions, hoping to find some answers.

The clutch is original, and slipping, I would like to do the work myself in order to save money. I need to know if its possible to have the flywheel resurfaced, I've seen mixed results on here and would love to not spend the extra 600$+. If not, I was planning on getting the spec single mass flywheel, what are the downsides to this? Also, other than the spline bolt tool, is there any other tools I will need to install the clutch/presure plate/flywheel (seen here?)

While I'm in there, I plan on doing PCV, fluid changes, RMS, driveshaft seals and angle gear collar (not stripped yet, but its cheap enough to do it while the transmission is out). Is there any other seals I should be taking care of while the transmission is out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Pic is broken.

Definitely possible to get a DMF resurfaced, but a little tricky to find places that'll do it. Start calling around!

DMF mechanism also has to be in good shape for it to be an option. Springs still have to be intact; I think places test it by applying X force to it and seeing if the disc turns more than a certain number of degrees.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Depends less on mileage and more on how it was driven/if it's been resurfaced before. You can resurface a single-mass a couple times, but a DMF is usually only good for once or twice.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
According to Volvo, no, these DMF flywheels can NOT be resurfaced. There isn't enough material on them to allow for resurfacing (according to the stealership when I needed new clutch at 30k). As far as other stuff to do in addition to what you've already listed, maybe look at resealing the angle gear?

-Steve

EDIT: Actually, I just looked through my old thread, and apparently I was told it was too badly warped; that's why it couldn't be resurfaced. :-/ I coulda sworn I was told they couldn't be resurfaced because they don't have enough 'meat' on them, but maybe I was wrong?

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
By 180k miles the DMF itself is likely worn out. There is a limit to the permissible deflection between the two pieces and at 180k it's pretty much guaranteed to need replacement. Resurfacing won't fix the worn springs and bearings inside...

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The only complaints about the solid flywheel is that you might hear some transmission chatter from the engine's power pulses near idle. A couple of us here have pretty much eliminated that by running Amsoil Severe Gear in the transaxle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How noticeable is the chatter? Am I going to pull my hair out if I'm stuck in traffic?

Located in Farmington

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Tasca sells the DMF for 736+ tax last I checked (they have a CT branch, gotta pay tax), FCP has the cheapest clutch kit. $1400 with tax for a clutch, DMF, and collar sleeve... Don't know what it would be with an RMS... I'd do the PCV separately unless you're dropping the engine. Get VIDA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Was probably planning on pulling the engine rather than dropping it, having done it in another R once before.
I still do not understand what this tool is used for, and why some say it is necessary for the clutch job, and others do not.
Also, is anyone locally (ct area) parting a titanium s60 or v70, I need a trunk and rear driver door.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That tool is only needed to reset the adjustment mechanism when only the disk is replaced so the old PP can be set back to the beginning of its adjustment range.

If you get a new PP then its already set to the correct place so the tool is not needed in that case. All you will need besides the new parts is the disk alignment pilot tool.

If you remove the flywheel new flywheel bolts are recommended since they are TTY bolts.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
How noticeable is the chatter? Am I going to pull my hair out if I'm stuck in traffic?

Located in Farmington
With the lube upgrade I don't hear anything unless the engine is completely warm and the A/C on. Then again what noise it does make is so minimal its almost indistinguishable from the regular valve train noise with my head right in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Resurface DMF: yes if you find a shop that has the proper late that can hold it in place during the work. Some may say to replace it as it has 180k. But if this is the original clutch then it might still be good. Hard to tell before doing the work and looking at it.

Single mass: I just went through the same questions. There are split opinions about it. It is definitely cheaper so if you are looking to save money you can save about $300 here. It should be faster to change gears (assuming the silks are also there). There are definitely risks about the noise. Some say there is little to none, some say it is like a tractor. It looks like it depends on the car and driver.

So it boils down to how much you want to spend and how much risk you can tolerate about getting a noisy one.

Me: I could afford the dual mass and I could not afford the noise - wife will not ride with me or even worse she will ride but remind me about my poor flywheel decision every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts