SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving tonight, and travel past a cop who immediately flips a u-turn and pulls me over. He says the reason I got pulled over was because of my headlights. He said that they were "xenith" (his word, not mine... He meant xenon obviously) bulbs that I had put in a normal headlight housing, which was illegal. After telling him that the car came from the factory with HID headlamps, he said this was not possible because he "looked at them, and the have no lens in front of them, which all Xenons have to have to be legal" (assuming he's talking about projectors). I told him this was not true, and that the only thing that I've changed from factory original was getting new bulbs. After this he said that I ordered the wrong bulbs that "can fit into the housings without me knowing they were the wrong ones". I told him that HID headlamps needed ballasts, no matter what, and that I can show him where the factory Volvo ballasts are. He refused to believe me and wrote me a "fix-it/faulty or non-DOT-approved equipment" ticket.

So does anyone have any idea what I can do to fight this? Obviously this cop doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and let his anger get the best of him. It sucks because I I have to go to court I have to take off work, at which I have no vacation or sick days left currently.

What the hell do I do?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Bummer but..you have to go to court. Bring your owners manual and show it to the judge. You can prove the cop wrong and you will win. Sadly you do have to miss some work but chalk it up to a one day loss and get your justice!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Bummer but..you have to go to court. Bring your owners manual and show it to the judge. You can prove the cop wrong and you will win. Sadly you do have to miss some work but chalk it up to a one day loss and get your justice!!
Been there too. The judge will basically tell the cop to piss off and dismiss it. Bring owners manual and any information from Volvo you can find. You might go as far as to visit Volvo parts and have them print out a parts diagram of the OEM headlamps with the word xenon or high intensity discharge lamps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
no worries.. itll get dismissed.. Cop is an idiot.. And I would have challenged his intellegence right there.. But I'm sure he would have just tazered me. Also you can bring some info from the internet about standard features....

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Work should allow you to take a pay day off for count (at least mine does). It shouldn't fall under sick days/vacation days. This would not apply unless you work at a sweat shop of course :D

Just request off with your employer and check your local and state laws for this type of stuff.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
is there any way to embarrass the cop in court for being a dumby?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
is there any way to embarrass the cop in court for being a dumby?
Best way to embarrass someone who is dumb to any given subject is with knowledge :) so as long as he comes with all we have told him the cop will look like a dumb ass.

10 to 1 tho he doesn't even show :D they love to do that. They also like to write tickets like this to get the day off, technically anytime an officer has to appear in court he has a payed day off on our dime.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just to be the voice of reason, Don't ever challenge a cop unless you absolutely have to. It's never a good idea and all jokes aside can end much worse for you. The best thing you can do is take it to the courts and let it end there.

Don't try to embarrass any officer even if he did deserve it as you never know who the next cop to pull you over will be....maybe its the jerk, maybe it's his best buddy....it's a small world.

The cop was clearly wrong, it sucks you have to fix it but it is what it is.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
You should be able to plead "not guilty" on the ticket, and provide supporting evidence with the returned slip. I'd suggest a copy of the window sticker, a printout of a product listing that clearly shows the design of the headlamp, and a copy of the page in your owner's manual referring to "high intensity discharge" headlamps. It may be dismissed right then and there.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Here's how you can embarass the cop. Ask him questions like:
You- "Are you an expert in automotive headlamps?"

He'll say "yes, it's my job to know cars and their standard equipment."

Then you say, "where did you attain your certificate in the automotive OEM headlamp identification?"

He'll say "I didn't, there's no such thing."

You - "So you have no way of proving your expertise in what is OEM and what is not correct?"

Him - "No, but it's my job."

You - "Just yes and no answers will suffice thanks."

After that, just keep asking him if he knows how the Volvo xenon headlamps work. Take a picture at night and show that the headlamps cut off in a straight line on the top and that there's no residual reflection that blinds oncoming cars. He'll get red and when the judge tells him that he has no case, you'll win and get your pride back.

The chances are that he won't even show up...

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
That sucks, but hopefully you'll be able to easily demonstrate the cop wasn't correct.

Any chance your headlight levelers aren't working? Maybe a light is misaimed without you realizing.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
that sucks but make the best of it, hit your favorite diner for breakfast before hand and plan something fun for after the court date. Just go armed with some information and you will be fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
In addition to the factory specifications, since you mentioned that you purchased new bulbs, I would bring a receipt supporting that you purchased the correct bulbs.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
That's very odd. As others have suggested plead "not guilty" and go to court. Look up the actual vehicle code section he wrote you up for to see exactly what it says, then bring some documentation with you to court to show that you're not violating that section. It's a hassle, but $hit happens. Maybe you could post the code section (include your state) so we can all see what it says.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You should be able to plead "not guilty" on the ticket, and provide supporting evidence with the returned slip. I'd suggest a copy of the window sticker, a printout of a product listing that clearly shows the design of the headlamp, and a copy of the page in your owner's manual referring to "high intensity discharge" headlamps. It may be dismissed right then and there.
^ +1 I might even print out a picture of the North American R Brochure directly from Volvo, and a picture of your car as it is currently as a comparison of headlamps. As well as the recent purchase receipt of replacement bulbs.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
So I'm driving tonight, and travel past a cop who immediately flips a u-turn and pulls me over. He says the reason I got pulled over was because of my headlights. He said that they were "xenith" (his word, not mine... He meant xenon obviously) bulbs that I had put in a normal headlight housing, which was illegal. After telling him that the car came from the factory with HID headlamps, he said this was not possible because he "looked at them, and the have no lens in front of them, which all Xenons have to have to be legal" (assuming he's talking about projectors). I told him this was not true, and that the only thing that I've changed from factory original was getting new bulbs. After this he said that I ordered the wrong bulbs that "can fit into the housings without me knowing they were the wrong ones". I told him that HID headlamps needed ballasts, no matter what, and that I can show him where the factory Volvo ballasts are. He refused to believe me and wrote me a "fix-it/faulty or non-DOT-approved equipment" ticket.

So does anyone have any idea what I can do to fight this? Obviously this cop doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and let his anger get the best of him. It sucks because I I have to go to court I have to take off work, at which I have no vacation or sick days left currently.

What the hell do I do?
Obviously: fight the ticket.

You may be able to submit the information before hand and ask to have the documentation accepted and your appearance waived.

Getting documentation from Volvo (even the window sticker that mentioned the bulbs) might help. You might be able to the dealer and/or Volvo Corp to help -- after all, they don't want customers having bad experiences.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Just to be the voice of reason, Don't ever challenge a cop unless you absolutely have to. It's never a good idea and all jokes aside can end much worse for you. The best thing you can do is take it to the courts and let it end there.

Don't try to embarrass any officer even if he did deserve it as you never know who the next cop to pull you over will be....maybe its the jerk, maybe it's his best buddy....it's a small world.

The cop was clearly wrong, it sucks you have to fix it but it is what it is.
My philosophy is: Never argue with an armed person.

·
6,436 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are your bulbs the stock hid or did you put different bulbs in their making them different colors, like pink, yellow, blue? Please send a picture of your lights at night . Ill bet your headlights are not 100% stock.

·
6,436 Posts
Attentive reading my friend...

Are your bulbs the stock hid or did you put different bulbs in their making them different colors, like pink, yellow, blue? Please send a picture of your lights at night . Ill bet your headlights are not 100% stock.

What the hell do I do?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts