SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Actually, its quite possible that that cheapo steering wheel cover is in place to protect leather in good condition from knicks a scratches from long fingernails or nails like mine that always seem to find a way to dig into the wheel no matter how short meaning I must not pull my fingertips away from the wheel sufficiently when I am moving across it and the corners catch and scratch. The heart sticker also reinforces its the mom-taxi, which also strengthens the preventative-masking argument.
And why shouldn't the poster be upset over cosmetic changes? If for some reason a manufacturer found that a production car's wheels cracked like saltines and put out a recall, they sure as heck would notify the owners in advance that they would be replacing them with a different design. Lawsuit though? Stupid.
I get the cost-basis here. Why should Volvo estimate how many Oak wheels are still out there and risk uninstalled stock sitting on dealer shelves if they erred. I also don't agree with it. At least they could have come up with an applique solution that could be installed black or tan by the dealer.
Actually being a 20 year old mom car would reinforce that it's clapped out.

Forehead Hair Chin Eyebrow Tie

·
Registered
28 Posts
The previous thread on this topic included an owner swapping to three-spoke before going in for the recall service. Airbag Recall R10136 His photo:

Ive been thinking about doing this as I have a tan interior and dont want a mismatched bag. But I wont have the 3 spoke style airbag Is there any way to get one for cheap and then go to the dealer?

·
Registered
637 Posts
R owners who want to keep their fancy badge on the wheel could get a spare airbag from the wreckers when they go for a recall. Also the airbag fascias are removable if you ard willing to take it apart.

·
Registered
2005 V70, 2016 V60
388 Posts
I just got a call to confirm I was coming in. The service advisor confirmed ALL the airbags are black now, so I'll leave with a 2-tone steering wheel. Considering the car is 16 years old, I think I'll be OK with it.

·
Registered
2006 V70 2.5t 16t
247 Posts
How long has it been taking the dealers to get airbags in stock?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Didn’t get one in the mail yet either, so I’ve got nothing to show them apart from saying the recall is a thing that would apply to my car as well lol.

Yeah — the original airbag (like mine) is Oak, but they’ve only got black as replacement airbags. I seriously don’t understand what the problem is — literally just redye it.
I’ve been wanting to switch to black. Guess I’ll get halfway there.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What took Volvo, the safety company so long? BMW did it to my daughters 2000 E46 a year ago. They gave me a new car as a loaner, and washed and vacuumed the car too.

That was done the same day the Volvo dealer charged me for work on my S80 that they didnt do. Credit card refunded my money, McDonald Volvo (& Audi) lost a 60k sale the next week, I bought a new BMW product a few months later, and I sold a few friends on BMWs instead of Volvos or Audis. Pigs get fed, hogs lose customers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just received a recall notice in the post for the driver's airbag on my 2001 v70xc. Reads that basically, metal "shrapnel" can cause harm to the driver if that driver's bag deploys. Isn't it something that they would put that out on a 21-year-old vehicle?
Yes, it is a good something that safety defects are subject to recalls for a long time. . Call your local Volvo dealer right away to schedule the replacement. I just did that and the dealer has to order the part. Waiting two weeks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know the particulars of this recall, and I skimmed through the four pages (so far) on this thread, so I believe that I'm adding content, so...
The Takata Air Bag recall that affected many models a few years ago is being expanded.
There is no "sunset" on recalls related to safety equipment like airbags or seatbelts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm getting it done in February when I have my next vacation day. The dealer said they wanted to make sure they had the right airbag to VIN on my car and I figured I'd give them a little extra time. I'm pretty sure this is about a 15-20 minute job if I'm not mistaken...

·
Premium Member
2022 V90CC B6/Platinum Grey/Lounge/Climate/Advanced/B&W
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Received a call that the part is in for the XC. Took a month but happy and grateful to be having it swapped out.
For whatever reason; they've asked for the car for the day and that seemed odd considering others experiences.
Again, grateful to Volvo for doing this on my 22-year old car.

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
Labor shortage. I sat and waited and my 4 spoke was done in less than 45 minutes.
Received a call that the part is in for the XC. Took a month but happy and grateful to be having it swapped out.
For whatever reason; they've asked for the car for the day and that seemed odd considering others experiences.
Again, grateful to Volvo for doing this on my 22-year old car.

·
Premium Member
2022 V90CC B6/Platinum Grey/Lounge/Climate/Advanced/B&W
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Labor shortage. I sat and waited and my 4 spoke was done in less than 45 minutes.
💯 That must be it. Don't know why I always forget about the labour shortage. It's torturing me each day at work but the minute I leave the hospital I assume everything is normal. Memory of a goldfish

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
“Would you like a wash?” No, thanks. I’m a bit of a wash snob. QUOTE="NTXC, post: 7896193, member: 323297"]
In and out in under 30 minutes…including a wash and vacuum.

I was genuinely impressed.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
73 Posts
“Would you like a wash?” No, thanks. I’m a bit of a wash snob. QUOTE="NTXC, post: 7896193, member: 323297"]
In and out in under 30 minutes…including a wash and vacuum.

I was genuinely impressed.
[/QUOTE]
I kind of wanted to say no just to get back to work…but then I would have had to get back to work.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts