SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,045 Posts
Cant you just go there with the recall notice? I got one in the mail and another when I had my car inspected.

I'm not sure what's the issue here? They gave him a black/gray airbag? I'm sure the steering wheel under that cheap walmart cover looks a lot worse lol
Didn’t get one in the mail yet either, so I’ve got nothing to show them apart from saying the recall is a thing that would apply to my car as well lol.

Yeah — the original airbag (like mine) is Oak, but they’ve only got black as replacement airbags. I seriously don’t understand what the problem is — literally just redye it.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm not sure what's the issue here? They gave him a black/gray airbag? I'm sure the steering wheel under that cheap walmart cover looks a lot worse lol

Actually, its quite possible that that cheapo steering wheel cover is in place to protect leather in good condition from knicks a scratches from long fingernails or nails like mine that always seem to find a way to dig into the wheel no matter how short meaning I must not pull my fingertips away from the wheel sufficiently when I am moving across it and the corners catch and scratch. The heart sticker also reinforces its the mom-taxi, which also strengthens the preventative-masking argument.
And why shouldn't the poster be upset over cosmetic changes? If for some reason a manufacturer found that a production car's wheels cracked like saltines and put out a recall, they sure as heck would notify the owners in advance that they would be replacing them with a different design. Lawsuit though? Stupid.
I get the cost-basis here. Why should Volvo estimate how many Oak wheels are still out there and risk uninstalled stock sitting on dealer shelves if they erred. I also don't agree with it. At least they could have come up with an applique solution that could be installed black or tan by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Didn’t get one in the mail yet either, so I’ve got nothing to show them apart from saying the recall is a thing that would apply to my car as well lol.
Mine came in last week. I've had my car to the closest dealer only 1x - almost 4 years ago. If you've moved or the car hasn't seen a dealer since changing hands, that may slow them down.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Mine came in last week. I've had my car to the closest dealer only 1x - almost 4 years ago. If you've moved or the car hasn't seen a dealer since changing hands, that may slow them down.
I've run his VIN- it doesn't come up as having any open recalls. In the warranty portal or VIDA.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Thinking more about R airbags, that's a real big mess. I've seen pics of at least one that has Atacama on the airbag flanks. That replacement is not going to go very smoothly at the service counter.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts
So what's gonna happen when I bring 2 of my Volvos in that used to have 4 spoke wheels that got swapped for 3 spoke?
I think if it was originally an option on the vehicle then you may be okay.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
So what's gonna happen when I bring 2 of my Volvos in that used to have 4 spoke wheels that got swapped for 3 spoke?
Let them know ahead of time. Parts will look up what the car originally came with. So if you don't let them know and they don't stock both, you could wind up having to come back when they are in stock for you.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,045 Posts
Could they refuse replacement?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Could they refuse replacement?
I wasn't sure how the warranty claim would go claiming a 3 spoke part number on a VIN with a 4 spoke airbag, but another member here got his covered. Pretty sure he's also a dealer tech.

I haven't had any with swapped wheels come in yet.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I would just tell them about the swap when you make the appointment so that the correct airbag is ordered or set aside for you. I'm sure as long as an airbag is replaced Volvo isn't going to care whether it was a 4 spoke or 3 spoke.

·
Registered
2004 Volvo V70 FWD Manual
162 Posts
Who is that? Annapolis Volvo said check back in January to see if they had parts, Koons Volvo in White Marsh said no problem, come on down next week. Maybe it helped that I mentioned I bought my V60 from them? Anyway, the lesson of the day is start calling around until you find a dealer with parts.
Koons Volvo in White Marsh. I didn't buy my car from them or have ever had my car serviced by them. I just cold called about the recall.

The service guy said color match, but he may be clueless. I'll find out on the 10th. I'd rather have a color match, but I'd also rather not have shrapnel in my face if I get into an accident.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
The color will match. If you have black (or charcoal or whatever they call it). That is the only color available.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The color will match. If you have black (or charcoal or whatever they call it). That is the only color available.
How Henry Ford of them.

• Haha
Reactions: moosed

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
229 Posts
There are a few threads here on this topic. I posted the result of my recall service: Airbag Recall R10136 I thought the replacement looked quite good because it matches the black facia parts (cluster area, center console, vents & etc.), and I don't even think about the color change anymore. My photo:

Reactions: moosed

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
229 Posts
The previous thread on this topic included an owner swapping to three-spoke before going in for the recall service. Airbag Recall R10136 His photo:

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
229 Posts
Maybe a bit pedantic, but no, Volvo doesn't have to do anything about it at this point. Age-wise these vehicles are no longer required to be recalled. Let's all keep in mind this is completely voluntary on Volvo's part.
You may think that, but I cannot possibly comment.

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
410 Posts
You may think that, but I cannot possibly comment.
I was simply stating a fact - The statute of limitations for all no-charge recalls is 8 years from the original sale date of the vehicle. No opinion or comment required. 🤷‍♀️

41 - 60 of 78 Posts