SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious to learn what you all know/think about rebuilt Rs?
I personally purchased my R in a pretty “non-conventional” way. I saw it parked at my University (The University at Buffalo) pretty much all through out an entire semester. Having drove my dads old 06 S60 2.5T auto fwd when he leased it new (and really liking it) - I was pretty intrigued by the R. I wasn’t familiar with it until seeing it at school. I eventually tracked down the owner of the car, who was finishing his last year becoming an optometrist. To make a long story short, I asked him if he would sell it to me and we ended up making a deal. It turned out that the caR had a rebuilt title, didn’t have timing belt service (@ 130K...) I could also feel the front end suspension “crashing” due to completely worn out front 4cs. We agreed to $2300 as he was moving to CA and was willing to negotiate. He originally was asking for $4.5K! This was in July of 2018 and I have probably spent $3-4K with a very fair family friend / indy. Fast forward to now and it has 135K or so as it isn’t my daily.
I suppose my questions are: How do you think I did on price? Also, even though I don’t regret putting the $$ in it - should new prospective R owners shy away from rebuilt? And ultimately, what should I expect to sell the caR for at 135K and full stage 0? It is magic blue/gobi, m66 transmission and has factory sport kit.

Fyi - I am not looking to sell. Just curious if anyone has experience buying/selling rebuilt Rs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
Honestly, it all depends on why they were totaled. I’ve seen these cars totaled from a shattered headlight lens/housing and a bent hood, parts are pretty pricy at repair shops so they’re totaled very easily. If it was a flood car, or has had frame damage, I wouldn’t touch it, but as long as there was pics of the damage i’d be fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The real question is does it put a smile on your face - if yes, then the rest doesn't matter. :)

As for resale, it's rebuilt and 14 years old with diminished value to most so I wouldn't expect to get more than a few grand for it. Maybe more maybe less depending on lots of things including luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts