SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many know the '98 oil cooler lines like to fail at the crimps. The OEM crimps, quite frankly, suck. So when they go bad you have two options,

1: Buy new OEM ($260 from FCP Euro) which isn't a bad option necessarily, but you'll still be getting a hose that will fail within 20 years and for a very premium price.

2: Get your set professionally rebuilt to be vastly superior to OEM. This is the option I chose.

To start, this is what OEM looks like. You can see how flimsy and tiny the crimp is

Now, here is what my rebuilt set looks like. They're also now serviceable if anything happens in the future. The shop cut off the ends, brazed on new fittings and put on industrial quality hose and crimps. Total cost was $116.25 at my local Pirtek. They quoted way more but I talked them down. Then $30 for new seals/clips. Grand total lets just round up and say $160 with shipping on the seals and pulling a set of lines off a junkyard car if you want so you don't have any downtime. $160 for vastly superior lines vs $260 for OEM. Easy choice if you're doing the work yourself!

Robert has a nice video on replacing them, he also had his rebuilt but not nearly to the level that I had mine done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cJ0qMzby0

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Also FYI a lot of NAPA stores can do hydraulic hoses

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also FYI a lot of NAPA stores can do hydraulic hoses
Not nearly to this quality, though probably good enough. The way I had them done is absurdly overkill but that's how I like it.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Not nearly to this quality, though probably good enough. The way I had them done is absurdly overkill but that's how I like it.
Depends on where you are I guess. In upstate NY, VT, ME they make us 4000 psi hoses all the time without issue. For comparison p80 oil pump runs at 3 bar or about 45 psi so that would be the max system pressure.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Had mine rebuilt last week at a hydraulic hose shop, look just like the ones in the photo, high quality...$60 total.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had mine rebuilt last week at a hydraulic hose shop, look just like the ones in the photo, high quality...$60 total.
Damn good deal for both. Guess my local place is a bit expensive, still so much better than OEM though

·
Registered
532 Posts
For sure, was prepared to buy OEM hoses until I read a few threads suggesting a rebuild via hydraulic hose shop. Very pleased, superior quality, saved money and successfully completed the project along with a new radiator install.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Those came out really well! I replaced mine a couple years ago with a good used set from the junkyard. Hopefully those will last me until I sell the car at least!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts