SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the new to me 2005 XC90 2.5t had a positive glove test. Sure enough the block was almost completely blocked by residue. I didn't buy any parts yet because I wanted to see which parts were really in need of replacement. From the looks of it the only things which really need replacing are the tiny vacuum line on the pcv vent tube. AKA the tiny tube which has become brittle and breaks (it does not have any clamps on it just fits over barbed fittings).

Does anyone know where to get this type of hose.

Ironically the other part which I would rather replace than trifle with is the pcv trap itself. I say ironically because it is the one thing which I have read discussion about reusing. Anyway... is there an established method for cleaning these pcv traps for reuse.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Toward the bottom of this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169899-Full-PCV-Service-B5254T2-(2-5T) is mention of the tubing (see 12Ounce post). Tygon.

You really need to pull most of it apart, it's not just the small hose, you'll likely find obstructions at the oil trap and the oil trap to crank entrance as well as in other parts of the system. It's inevitable to have to do it at some point. Just is. If it's bad enough to fail the glove test, it's probably more than just the little hose. My 2 cents.

Were it me, I might buy a new oil trap as a compromise (besides the replacement hose material, a new intake manifold gasket, and a throttle body gasket as you really want to clean the TB while you have the manifold off). You'll also need all new screw clamps (unless you have an Oeteker kit). And, since you have a 2005, I would pay special attention to the hose that goes from the camshaft cover to the top of the oil trap. If it's plastic, it'll need to be replaced (very surprised if it's not already broken in a few places). If it's rubber, that means someone has already replaced it.

But yes, if you were doing this frugally, you could pull it apart and clean everything out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Toward the bottom of this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169899-Full-PCV-Service-B5254T2-(2-5T) is mention of the tubing (see 12Ounce post). Tygon.

You really need to pull most of it apart, it's not just the small hose, you'll likely find obstructions at the oil trap and the oil trap to crank entrance as well as in other parts of the system. It's inevitable to have to do it at some point. Just is. If it's bad enough to fail the glove test, it's probably more than just the little hose. My 2 cents.

Were it me, I might buy a new oil trap as a compromise (besides the replacement hose material, a new intake manifold gasket, and a throttle body gasket as you really want to clean the TB while you have the manifold off). You'll also need all new screw clamps (unless you have an Oeteker kit). And, since you have a 2005, I would pay special attention to the hose that goes from the camshaft cover to the top of the oil trap. If it's plastic, it'll need to be replaced (very surprised if it's not already broken in a few places). If it's rubber, that means someone has already replaced it.

But yes, if you were doing this frugally, you could pull it apart and clean everything out.

Good luck!
Indeed. I already have it apart. If this site allowed image hosting I would post pics of the lower block port almost completely occluded. It essentially looks like every other pic out there. The top hose you mentioned was replaced by the previous owner. They were charged almost $200 for that service and the shop didn't even service the PCV while they had it apart. FYI it was a high end service shop so I'm sure they appreciate the repeat business. Anyway I have it apart and everything but the tiny vacuum line on the ??vent hose?? looks to be in remarkable shape. For the heater hose that comes off of the ??vent hose?? in the back corner of the block, I am going to add an elbow and a foot or so of hose. That way I can easily remove that entire line in the future without removing all of the turbo tubing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scratch that last idea about adding hose so I don't have to remove turbo tube. I now see that that is the location of the PTC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts