SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went to replace my control arms on the 06 S60 T5M since the bushings had barely any rubber left in them. This repair went... poorly (that's a whole other story), but I managed to get the driver side done. Unfortunately, the axle was pulled out slightly too far in the process, and the inner CV joint came apart :facepalm:. I looked online, and saw that it was just a tripod with three bearings I would need to hold out while I put it back together. Cut off the clamp and pulled back the boot to find 6 loose ball bearings and a loose slotted ring... much more complicated and difficult than I anticipated. A new axle alone is over $700 so that's off the table since this one was fine, plus the axle is seized into the hub (even with penetrating oil and heat and a big hammer), and I don't even want to attempt removing the other part from the transmission. My question is how would one go about putting this back together without removing it from the car? The main issue I'm having is finding a way to hold all 4 bearings that aren't resting at the bottom in their slots simultaneously. I had a thought to use magnets around the outside of the housing to hold them up, but it seems a little silly. Has anyone done this before and have any tips? I would appreciate any help!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I replaced the inner boot on my 07 2.5T. I don't know how different the automatic axles are from the manual axles. I've seen 2 different tripod styles, on mine the rollers can pivot. But, I've seen them fixed as well. I don't know if that's MY or transmission specific. My 07 has stakes on the inner joint cage that keeps the tripod from coming out. I thought there were C clips that held the rollers together.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Last weekend I went to replace my control arms on the 06 S60 T5M since the bushings had barely any rubber left in them. This repair went... poorly (that's a whole other story), but I managed to get the driver side done. Unfortunately, the axle was pulled out slightly too far in the process, and the inner CV joint came apart :facepalm:. I looked online, and saw that it was just a tripod with three bearings I would need to hold out while I put it back together. Cut off the clamp and pulled back the boot to find 6 loose ball bearings and a loose slotted ring... much more complicated and difficult than I anticipated. A new axle alone is over $700 so that's off the table since this one was fine, plus the axle is seized into the hub (even with penetrating oil and heat and a big hammer), and I don't even want to attempt removing the other part from the transmission. My question is how would one go about putting this back together without removing it from the car? The main issue I'm having is finding a way to hold all 4 bearings that aren't resting at the bottom in their slots simultaneously. I had a thought to use magnets around the outside of the housing to hold them up, but it seems a little silly. Has anyone done this before and have any tips? I would appreciate any help!
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the inner boot on my 07 2.5T. I don't know how different the automatic axles are from the manual axles. I've seen 2 different tripod styles, on mine the rollers can pivot. But, I've seen them fixed as well. I don't know if that's MY or transmission specific. My 07 has stakes on the inner joint cage that keeps the tripod from coming out. I thought there were C clips that held the rollers together.
See, that's the thing. I tore into it thinking it was a tripod like that, which is fairly simple and easy to do (I've done the same procedure on the FSAE car we build at school). The issue is when I tore into it, it was NOT the tripod style. It had 6 ~.5" diameter ball bearings loose sitting in 6 grooves on both mating parts, and a retaining ring between the axle and the housing. It's a nightmare trying to hold 6 greasy ball bearings in place in a wheel well while inserting a tight fitting shaft (ha) between them... I'm beginning to think reassembling and towing to a shop would be a better option...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
See, that's the thing. I tore into it thinking it was a tripod like that, which is fairly simple and easy to do (I've done the same procedure on the FSAE car we build at school). The issue is when I tore into it, it was NOT the tripod style. It had 6 ~.5" diameter ball bearings loose sitting in 6 grooves on both mating parts, and a retaining ring between the axle and the housing. It's a nightmare trying to hold 6 greasy ball bearings in place in a wheel well while inserting a tight fitting shaft (ha) between them... I'm beginning to think reassembling and towing to a shop would be a better option...
Wow. The manual transmissions must be very different, then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts