SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the rear view camera 180 degree visible like what can be found in the new Ford Explorer or edge etc? I know there is cross traffic alert but can you literally see past the edge of the truck or whatever parked next to you and up down the lane as you are backing out.?

For those that haven't seen or tried the rear view in the new ford cars they view on the camera is exceptionally wide and pretty sweet. The current view on my XC60 R-design is seriously lacking on seeing anything beyond what is immediately behind the vehicle. It makes backing out of blind spots difficult.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
. It makes backing out of blind spots difficult.
It should not. The CTA (Cross Traffic Alert) feature will pick up any cars, cyclists or pedestrians that are coming from an angle where you cannot see. It picks them up way ahead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the rear camera only and it is excellent. I can see 90° left and right when backing onto a road. My only problem is the guide lines which do not give much information imo. They do not indicate the limit of the turning circle. I rely on this system now because I have intermittent parking sensors. Booked in to the dealer to sort this next week...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It should not. The CTA (Cross Traffic Alert) feature will pick up any cars, cyclists or pedestrians that are coming from an angle where you cannot see. It picks them up way ahead.
True about cross traffic however my '11.5 doesn't have cross traffic and I like the sensors but I would rather inch out and see what is coming as well as have cross traffic vs just backing out blind and slamming brakes when the cross traffic alert fires off. :)

So that is probably why I am hoping the rear view camera of the xc90 provides a super wide view. Like I mentioned, the view on the '16 fords with the 180degree rear and front camera are pretty amazing in what they display and how it is displayed like a seemless stiched view and not angled type front view like why was found on the front camera for past volvos.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well the 360' is great and coupled with the cta you can nearly back out without a physical glance but I still look - through windows of cars parked adjacent if I have to. I know the op is about the rear camera but if I was really concerned I would get the 360 without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think it's truly 180 degrees, as it would then be seeing the back of car itself to either side. But it's pretty darn wide, certainly more than adequate.

The bigger issue, at least for those of us who are impatient, is the frequent delay in the camera activating. I am used to it in our Hondas where it is instant. It doesn't matter what else you were doing on the screen, the instant you went into reverse it was live. Not so with the Volvo. The time it takes to activate seems to be variable and admittedly I think its often worse for me because I typically get in the car, turn it on and am wanting to back out a few seconds later when the Sensus software still seems to be activating. But the next result is I often could be at least 5-10 feet back from my point of origin by the time the camera engages on the screen. Which means I can't use it to initially scan if it is safety start moving or for my initial movement and I still have to turn my head around the old fashioned way (which isn't a bad habit anyway). Even when the car has been on for a while there can be a small lag, not as bad as just turned on. I often liked to use the rear camera for example to check if I am centered in the markers for parallel parking spaces before turning the car off. I can do it with the Volvo but notice the lag.

Actually the latter I now do with the 360 degree camera, but the quickest way to trigger it is to first reverse and get that camera then click the 360 button on the screen. The 360 camera is not useful for backing out. It would have far too much distortion of what is behind you and not show you far enough back. But it is absolutely excellent for pulling into parking stops and getting perfectly centered between lines.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I agree on the delay for the rear camera. It is pretty annoying. Sometimes I am about to finish my backing out and switch to drive before the camera even activates. Freaking annoying.

I also can't stand the "check surrounding area for safety" that pops up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if this is something that has changed/improved in more recently manufactured cars. I don't disagree that if you jump in the car and shift to reverse immediately before the Sensus has activated, the 360 camera doesn't come on, but once the Sensus has come on, it's pretty much immediate for me when I shift into reverse. I rarely feel like I'm waiting for it at all. I also don't think I have ever seen a "check surrounding area for safety" message -- at least not one that is annoying enough that I notice it. Weird.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well I plan to make an appointment soon to get the recall taken care of any have them purge and update the software to see if that helps all the recent glitches I have experienced. So if it was something fixed in the newer software version new owners are getting I'll be able to see and report the benefits then. It's definitely far quicker after the car has been in use, but still nothing like the instant of my Hondas. The lag when you first turn on the car is substantial. As cue003 reports, Im often through half of my backup before it engages.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if this is something that has changed/improved in more recently manufactured cars. I don't disagree that if you jump in the car and shift to reverse immediately before the Sensus has activated, the 360 camera doesn't come on, but once the Sensus has come on, it's pretty much immediate for me when I shift into reverse. I rarely feel like I'm waiting for it at all. I also don't think I have ever seen a "check surrounding area for safety" message -- at least not one that is annoying enough that I notice it. Weird.
Agreed. Mine is almost instant that I don't even notice a delay when put into reverse.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
L
True about cross traffic however my '11.5 doesn't have cross traffic and I like the sensors but I would rather inch out and see what is coming as well as have cross traffic vs just backing out blind and slamming brakes when the cross traffic alert fires off. :)

So that is probably why I am hoping the rear view camera of the xc90 provides a super wide view. Like I mentioned, the view on the '16 fords with the 180degree rear and front camera are pretty amazing in what they display and how it is displayed like a seemless stiched view and not angled type front view like why was found on the front camera for past volvos.
The functionality of today's rear back up camera is at a much higher level vs your MY11.5.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Agreed. Mine is almost instant that I don't even notice a delay when put into reverse.
Same here; whether it is an XC90 or a V60 or my current company car (S80), the back up camper activation is instant the moment I select Reverse.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just noticed today that I can see (kind of) the license plate on the left lower corner of the screen when I put on reverse? The right lower corner is darkish but still visible. It's a very small area and probably I did not notice it before. However, I am not sure. Did anybody notice that two lower corners on the screen are different when you reverse? Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just noticed today that I can see (kind of) the license plate on the left lower corner of the screen when I put on reverse? The right lower corner is darkish but still visible. It's a very small area and probably I did not notice it before. However, I am not sure. Did anybody notice that two lower corners on the screen are different when you reverse? Thanks
Yep..I see this too

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Same here; whether it is an XC90 or a V60 or my current company car (S80), the back up camper activation is instant the moment I select Reverse.
Mine is instant, EXCEPT when I start the vehicle and then go right into reverse within seconds. As citivas pointed out, and I agree, it's because the system/Sensus is still booting up or 'doing its thing'. Hopefully this can be addressed in the update and it is instant all the time, even immediately after starting the vehicle, like it has been in my past vehicles.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Exactly. My past vehicles have relatively slow start-ups, especially of the nav system. But if you trigger Reverse it seems to override whatever else it is doing and instantly give you the rear camera screen. Then it finishes the boot up when I return to Drive or another gear.

I have been counting the seconds recently and it's variable but 5 seconds after I select Reverse is common right after start-up. That is an eternity, especially in my daily evening commute where about 300 people have just gotten off a train and are rushing to not get stuck behind most of them in line along the single road that feeds out of the station. There are people who sprint to their cars. I just walk fast. But we all are driving away a few seconds after we start our cars. I have had to go back to the over-the-shoulder technique because I could be most of the way into backing out by the time the camera engages if I rely on it. And people are constantly walking behind you rushing to their cars, so you really need it.

Unlike Paradox I would still not call it "instant" even after start-up. It's much faster but not as snappy as my previous cars where I couldn't even measure it in seconds. It seems light speed on my previous cars and 1-2 seconds on this one. Not a big deal though. The start-up speed is though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts