SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like some others, the clip that holds the wiper blade to the wiper arm is broken. I'm wondering if there is an updated wiper arm from a newer model that will be compatible? If not, will the wiper arm from an XC90 be compatible? Might help me with locating a replacement.

Also, I've see some wiper arms rest on the left side of the window (like my '01) and some rest on the right side of the window. What is the reason for that?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Mine broke too...last time I replaced it. So I am careful to leave it in-tension against the window.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easy solution to this...the first "mod" I did to my XC.

Get a small black zip tie. Drill two small holes in the wiper arm on either side of the mounting post on the wiper blade. Thread zip tie through arm and around the mounting post, clip off excess.

Easy peasy 5 min job with a can of beer in your non-dominant hand. Sure it isn't OE but you'll save $75, $100, $150 or whatever BS amount Volvo charges for a simple, cheap, fragile hunk of plastic and that knowledge will make you smile every time you see the "non-OE" part...that much I promise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
40 bucks, actually. Not super bad. I replaced mine last year, though I did do almost the exact thing with the zip tie that was mentioned above in the mean time. =)

Part number for mine was 9483166, though it might vary for certain chassis codes, too.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Get a small black zip tie. Drill two small holes in the wiper arm on either side of the mounting post on the wiper blade. Thread zip tie through arm and around the mounting post, clip off excess.

Easy peasy 5 min job with a can of beer in your non-dominant hand. Sure it isn't OE but you'll save $75, $100, $150 or whatever BS amount Volvo charges for a simple, cheap, fragile hunk of plastic and that knowledge will make you smile every time you see the "non-OE" part...that much I promise.
Just did this to mine when it broke....even easier than drilling is to heat up a small punch or phillips screwdriver with a torch and just slide it through. Either way, far better than 40 bucks for a new arm.

·
Registered
355 Posts

On my old '01 V70, the arm broke just as I was heading out of town on a trip. I secured the wiper blade with 2 zip ties (no drilling needed), ordered a new arm and left for my trip. I sold the car two years later. A few months back I was going through some parts and found the brand new rear wiper arm. The zip tie fix worked so well that I somehow forgot to go back and replace the part.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice. Looks like the ziptie fix will work for now until one cycles through the local junk yard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts