SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i went to rotate my tires today and i removed lug nuts but the rear tires will no come off at all i tried to kick them pull them idk what to do to get them off

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sit on the ground, and give them a good solid kick with the bottom of your foot, right at the bottom of the face of the tire. Should come free.

You might want to do a bit of anti sieze when you put them back on.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

Yah, mine were stuck the first time too, rust between the rotor hub and the backside of the wheel.

Shaking it won't break it loose sometimes, you need to give it a good solid whack with something like your foot, or a rubber mallet, both which were mentioned. Good luck! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
What are you using to loosen them? I use an 18" torque wrench and have never had a problem. If you use an impact wrench to get them loose, stop as soon as they come loose and do the rest by hand; otherwise, you'll scrape paint off of your wheel with the socket.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (mattdoc)

Getting the lugs off is fine its just the wheels that are stuck to the rotor im about to go give them a good kick see if i can break them free ....car has 40k on it bought new 06 never had to change rear wheels yet .....the front on the other hand lol they come realll ez haha

awd sounds pretty good after burning thru a few fronts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (jdsr917)

Yeah, I had the same problem with my '06 wheels. It took an awful lot of pounding and grunting to get those suckers off -- rear wheels, too, by the way.

I think the "good kick" finally freed it. Good luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: Rear wheels stuck (jdsr917)

After you break the wheels free, clean the hub surface area and apply some anti-sieze to prevent the wheels from sticking in the future. You'll notice a layer of scale/oxidation on the hub caused by the dissimilar metals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Rear wheels stuck (jdsr917)

Quote, originally posted by jdsr917 »
Ok so i went to rotate my tires today and i removed lug nuts but the rear tires will no come off at all i tried to kick them pull them idk what to do to get them off

I think it is my right front rim that always gets stuck. This is despite rotating tires about every six months. I usually have to kick the heck out of it. I've had to go back inside and put on my boots just so I wouldn't bust my ankle. Just keep at it and they'll eventually pop off! Don't kick the car off the jack or jack stands and try not to shear those threads once its free! It's very frustrating. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Rear wheels stuck (KDog)

Another method is to reapply the lug nuts but not tighten them down (they should be on enough to keep the wheel from falling off, but there should be some play), then slowly lower the car. When the weight hits the wheels, they should break free.

+1 on anti-seize or lithium grease on the contact surface before remounting the wheels.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: Rear wheels stuck (VTT5)

80% of the volvo wheels i have to rotate at work are seized. So common i dont even flinch i just grab my soft blow and pound them off from behind the wheel. Im more surprised when i find a set thats not stuck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts