SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just told me he had noticed the passenger side rear wheel had a slight cant in on the top of the wheel compared to the other side, thought it might be bearing or suspension related. Has anyone here ever noticed this on their car and would know what the possible cause is? We did notice a slight vibration while driving at highway speed and sitting in that location but couldn't tell what it was. Since I'm not in the back and don't feel it up front, I had forgotten about it until we spoke a few minutes ago. I'm thinking I need to get this in to the dealer to have the car thoroughly checked out. Appreciate any info you guys might have, I don't mind doing some work if the DIY is not that difficult.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I can't tell from your description if you have a damaged wheel or just a bad alignment?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got an appointment to get the car checked out tomorrow. Hopefully, all my questions about these things will be answered.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's an update. They believe it's a problem with the differential but need to do some more check to make sure. They are either going to call me today or Monday to let me know. Based on how the wheel look, I'm hoping it's just bearings. Any idea on cost to do work on each?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car checks out fine, noise is from the rear tires which they say are low and will need to be replaced. Gives me a good opportunity to move to 245/45 18s as I've been reading about here. I've had great experience with the Pirelli P7 AS+ tires, I think they should work fine with the V8 engine and AWD system. I have been reading about the Pirelli P Zero AS+, which are Ultra High Performance All Season tires (the P7 AS+ are Grand Touring tires), but the winter traction from what I have been reading does not seem to be on the same level as the P7s. From my experience on the Optima hybrid, they were great in the snow, are quiet and comfortable tires with a ECO compound which did get some better mileage on the hybrid. I'll have to do some more research to see which I will go with for this car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The car checks out fine, noise is from the rear tires which they say are low and will need to be replaced. Gives me a good opportunity to move to 245/45 18s as I've been reading about here. I've had great experience with the Pirelli P7 AS+ tires, I think they should work fine with the V8 engine and AWD system. I have been reading about the Pirelli P Zero AS+, which are Ultra High Performance All Season tires (the P7 AS+ are Grand Touring tires), but the winter traction from what I have been reading does not seem to be on the same level as the P7s. From my experience on the Optima hybrid, they were great in the snow, are quiet and comfortable tires with a ECO compound which did get some better mileage on the hybrid. I'll have to do some more research to see which I will go with for this car.
Suggestion: Take a look at Conti PureContact ECO tires High Performance All Season (70K milage rating). I'm running these on my 2007 S80 for 1.5 years now and love them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those were the tires I had planned for the replacement on the hybrid, after driving BMWs equipped with the Contis and Pirellis I decided to give the Pirelli a try and even though they came in last in the Tirerack testing of 4 similar tires, I liked what they had to say about noise and ride comfort. The winter performance was much better than I would have expected and when TR did their winter test, it proved what a lot of the customer reviews were saying, it performs great in snow and ice. These days, I'm a fan of the Pirelli ride and noise comfort and for me, it is a choice between the P0 or the P7.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Those were the tires I had planned for the replacement on the hybrid, after driving BMWs equipped with the Contis and Pirellis I decided to give the Pirelli a try and even though they came in last in the Tirerack testing of 4 similar tires, I liked what they had to say about noise and ride comfort. The winter performance was much better than I would have expected and when TR did their winter test, it proved what a lot of the customer reviews were saying, it performs great in snow and ice. These days, I'm a fan of the Pirelli ride and noise comfort and for me, it is a choice between the P0 or the P7.
Yup, from what I've read the P7 is a really nice tire. I just purchased a set of Avanti A4 wheels and Conti PureContact tires for my Optima. Can't wait to get them and get the new shoes on!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me know how they work out. I would think you would want a set of UHP AS for that car, I'm weighing my options on those for the V8, love the way the P7s ride on the Optima and thinking the P0 + should also give a comfortable ride and low noise level. I know I'm getting old as I'm bothered by tire noise, years ago I'd be fine with a little as long as the tire grip like crazy. I'm also looking into the Michelin Pilot Super Sport but that means getting a set of winters. Decisions, decisions. I'll probably just go with the P0, Pirelli has a program which allows you to try the tires for 30 days, I'll give that a shot and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If you drive in snow, get snow tires... then splurge in the spring on summer tires/wheels!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If you drive in snow, get snow tires... then splurge in the spring on summer tires/wheels!
Agreed. Stacking tires in the garage takes up about 4 square feet of space. less if you have a rack to store them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts