SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently my steering wheel is shaking at speed of 60+ mph, so I got my front p-zeros balanced. It improved greatly, but still a little shaky at times and I don't feel the car is stable, steering wheel still experience mild rattle at hwy speed (over 80+mph)<p>my question is: do I need to balance the rear tire? if rear tires are not balanced, would I feel the shake? <p>And finally, is this a problem OTHER than a simple tire balancing act? Am I looking at a bad suspension? my car has 22k.<p>thanks in advance for the feedback

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: rear wheel balance - is this required? (stevectsai)

It is always better to balance all tires. Changing tires fromt front to rear after balancing is another option.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Re: rear wheel balance - is this required? (stevectsai)

It does sound like a balance problem since doing the fronts made a significant change.<p>Check the inside of your wheels for balance weights. On my original tires and weights, I had several occurrences of the weights coming off of the inside of the rim, leaving the tire no longer balanced. (no, I do not use high pressure car washes).<p>I have not had that problem since the tires were replaced and they were mounted and balanced at a professional tire shop.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: rear wheel balance - is this required? (rogersampson)

An out of balance rear wheel will cause a steering wheel shimmy. It's causing the whole car to shimmy actually, and you're feeling it mostly through the steering wheel. <p>I had this happen on my old S40. Pothole bent a front rim, and was causing a wicked shimmy. Moved it to the rear which made it better, but was still there. New rim = no more shimmy.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: rear wheel balance - is this required? (needsdecaf)

ALL wheels and tires must be balanced.<br>You also may have a bent wheel which you will feel even if it's a rear wheel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts