SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 V70. I failed to find much in a search...so asking for info.

Just had the A/C condenser replaced, which necessitated removing the front fascia.

Got it back and the rear washer spray is not working, along with a leak when filling the tank (but NOT when running the sprayers...see below). I am taking it back, and fully suspect they didn't put something back right (or cracked something), but wanted to be as prepared as possible for the discussion, and can't find much on it.

Front washers work. High pressure light washers work. Rear wiper moves and I hear the motor (pump, I presume) but no fluid.

Nothing leaks onto the ground when running the washers (including nothing leaks when running the rear!)

From looking online, it appears the front and rear use the same pump, and the high pressure use another pump? Trying to figure out what they didn't put together right. I would have guessed fill tube since that is the only leak, but then why no rear washer? If I hear the motor, shouldn't the fluid end up somewhere?

Any ideas or just experience on how this goes together before I head in for the inevitable fight about if they broke it?

·
Registered
421 Posts
It sounds like 2 separate problems with the washer system -- let's take 'em one by one.

Washer tank filler pipe leaking -- so, it leaks while topping off the tank, but then the leak stops well before the entire tank is emptied out? That means that the filler pipe connection at the top of the tank is not watertight. Yes, it could have been jostled while working to remove/install the air filter housing (part of the AC job). The good news is that, if you pull out the driver's side headlight assy., you might be able to see what's going on.

If that's not enough, the next move is to remove the front left wheel, and pull back the plastic wheel arch (where it is fastened at the front to the fender), so as to expose the washer tank and 2 small diaphragm pumps (for front and rear).

That leads to the 2nd problem...the rear pump is failing. It's unlikely related to the AC work, because the motor is still humming and it's watertight. Probably an internal fault (diaphragm torn or a check valve failed). This pump is easy to swap out. Yep, they're pricey, but you can get 'em cheap at the picknpull junkyard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts