SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up car from service yesterday and immediately noticed that the rear view mirror it totally screwed up. There is a long oval shaped section located in top half of mirror and everything you view there is distorted and discolored. And everything viewed outside that oval is also distorted, but not as badly. I spoke to tech who swears they didn't touch mirror while they had it. He also said there is a gel of some sort inside the mirror that may be involved, and that he has seen this happen with Audis. I did a search of forum using both the Google trick and regular search and didn't see any posts on this topic, so sorry if I missed one.
Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix?
My '04 has about 85K miles.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Someone probably hit the mirror too hard and the auto darkening fluid leaked out... Yes, they did touch the mirror. It doesn't automatically go bad. They have to replace it because it's a very very expensive rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It doesn't automatically go bad. .
Yes, sometimes they do "just go bad". at this point his is 8 years old. extreme heat or cold can contribute to this, but they do sometimes just leak out.
Dont wait too long to get it replaced; right now the little bit of leaked fluid is still in the housing/goobered up. Eventually enough may leak out to drip out of the housing and it can discolor the dash/console.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yes, sometimes they do "just go bad". at this point his is 8 years old. extreme heat or cold can contribute to this, but they do sometimes just leak out.
Dont wait too long to get it replaced; right now the little bit of leaked fluid is still in the housing/goobered up. Eventually enough may leak out to drip out of the housing and it can discolor the dash/console.
Let me rephrase that. They don't just go bad when you have the car in for service. They can break if you hit a big pothole Some dealerships have clueless mechanics who have no care about the customer's car. It's easy to say "no we didn't touch it" but it's hard to prove that they did...

If it was a few dollars like most rear view mirrors, fine. But this is talking about $400+

·
Registered
212 Posts
same thing happened to my C70. its all half dark half normal. Its really annoying. I don't remember how mine broke. I just noticed it one day. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts