SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

I have just had my 15,000 KM Service and the dealer has advised (and I have subsequently checked for myself) that the inside edge of the rear tyres are very worn.:confused:

He also advised that by 30,000 km I will need new tyres and this is normal.

My use is pretty much in straight lines up and down a highway, I wish I had more curves to negotiate and then I would understand some tyre wear.

I have an R design with 20"wheels, but not sure if this is relevant.

The wear looks like the edges are feathering, has anyone had this issue.

and more importantly has anyone any ideas on a fix?

thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Your Toe is set incorrectly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a better look underneath and it looks like the lower controll arm mounts might be loose? Actually it looks more like they were loose and dealer has tightened them. If they were/are loose this will account for my wear. I am off to revisit the delaer first thing in the morning, Will keep you posted.

BTW..the tyre wear is much worse than I thought, the inner treads are down to the tread wear indicators...at 15000km...this surely doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have dropped my XC into the dealer this morning. The told me the witness marks on the bolts would have been made during the pre-deivery process. "Apparently" they do a 4 wheel alignment as part of the pre-delivery.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I have been around the motor industry for sometimeand never come across a 4 wheel alignment as part of the pre-delivery.

I am still of the belief that the bolts were loose and they were tightened during the service. The loose bolts caused the tyre wear...

any thoughts???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My rear wheel alignment was way out. The Dealer is still persisting with the fatc that they did a wheel alignment at PreDelivery and thats why there are marks on the bolts.

The alignment has been reset (at no charge) but there seems to be no assistance being offered for my excess tyre wear.

I will now just keep an eye on the wear and see what happens.

I might have to take this up with Volvo Australia and see what they have to say.

It would be nice to know what milage should be expected out of rear tyres.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Check out review on tire rack for this tire - filter the reviews for Volvos (most are XC90s) and I think you'll see some comments referring to wear, etc.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Flip your tires to the other side to prolong their life and limit wear on the already worn side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still having the same problems

I now have 35,000km of mostly straight line highway driving on my XC60 (and have loved driving every one of them) but now my rear tyres are almost unroadworthy...but only on the inside edges.

I have the 20" R design wheels

The rear alignment has been re-done but has made minimal difference and is set within specs.

aside from the inside edges the tyres are only about 50% worn. The front tyres are not even worn 50%

Is anyone else experiencing this uneven wear?

I am taking the car back to the dealer this week but I am a bit hesitant to spend big $$ on new tyres without having a fix.

Ideas/Help appreciated

cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
No uneven wear on my MY10 but the tyres will need replacing at about 35,000km. I also have 20inch wheels. The only issue I have is that the car constantly pulls to the left - wheel alignment is fine and the dealer has assigned the problem to "radial bias". BS in my opinion as swapping the front wheels had no effect but until I replace the tyres I'm stuck with their "diagnosis".

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No uneven wear on my MY10 but the tyres will need replacing at about 35,000km. I also have 20inch wheels. The only issue I have is that the car constantly pulls to the left - wheel alignment is fine and the dealer has assigned the problem to "radial bias". BS in my opinion as swapping the front wheels had no effect but until I replace the tyres I'm stuck with their "diagnosis".

Regards

Rob
HI Bob

MY XC60 is in with the dealer now, has been for 3 days but still no "news". I get the impression they have NO clue, I am preparing to take this up with Volvo Australia.
I get a small pulling when the large tyres find the groove in our horrible roads but otherwise the handling and ride is great. Thats the weird part, if it was simply rear wheel alignment then I would notice poor ride quality,
I normally get good tyre mileage as my driving is all up and down the highway between Sydney and Brisbane, cannot remember the last time I took a corner with gusto!

Have you tried swapping front to rear diagonally?

Wayne

·
Registered
18 Posts
HI Bob

MY XC60 is in with the dealer now, has been for 3 days but still no "news". I get the impression they have NO clue, I am preparing to take this up with Volvo Australia.
I get a small pulling when the large tyres find the groove in our horrible roads but otherwise the handling and ride is great. Thats the weird part, if it was simply rear wheel alignment then I would notice poor ride quality,
I normally get good tyre mileage as my driving is all up and down the highway between Sydney and Brisbane, cannot remember the last time I took a corner with gusto!

Have you tried swapping front to rear diagonally?

Wayne
No, I asked the dealer to do this but they claimed the wear on the rear tyres was beyond what they would consider as "safe" for the front - but not enough to warrant replacing the tyres. Hard to fathom but I figure I'll wait until I replace the tyres and see what happens.

-r

·
3,391 Posts
Flip your tires to the other side to prolong their life and limit wear on the already worn side.
The Pirellis that come on these cars are asymmetrical and can't be flipped like that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
~ mine wore evenly for the 30k i got out of them ... but i rotated every 5k.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not so Fixed

Still not resolution to this one.

The rear wheel alignment was within specs and still set exactly as it was last time it was aligned. This is the second rear alignment so far on a 18month old vehicle...

Volvo Australia advised the dealer to set the rear wheel to maximum within spec toe in the opposite direction and monitor???

They suggested I rotate my tyres more often (every 5000km???), however as rightly pointed out by the dealer the main objective of rotating is to keep the best tyres on the front. My front tyres are way better than my rears.

My problem still remains, I need new rear tyres but am loathe to do so until I fix the uneven wear??

On another note, apparently Volvo were unbelieving of my 35000km and only 50% worn front tyres.

Surely I cannot be the only one with type of mileage? I am known to be a little spirited behind the wheel at times?

I would be very interested to know if anyone else, particularly those with 20" wheels, is having rear tyre issues?

thanks

Wayne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts