SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm very close to needing new tires, and looking to possibly put some XC90 275's on if I can locate a nice set with good tread.
The tires on the front have worn very well recently, but the rear tires have almost no tread left near the sidewall, both are almost identical.
I have had the tires rotated once, and only owned it for just over a year ~10K miles.
I do like taking the on and off ramps pretty quickly, and it has air suspension if that matters.

Do I need an alignment or is this something others have experienced?
Rear
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Light

Front
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Attachments

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
If it were me, I'd get on my hands and knees behind one of the rear tires and sight along the sidewalls to see where that sightline hits the front tires. It should be close to the sidewall of the front tire.

If the tire is toed-in too much, the sightline will be aimed at the car door. You need to do both sides.

This is not as wacky as it sounds. I actually saw AJ Foyt get out of his car and do it in the middle of the 500 after "whitewalling" his right side. You can easily see a gross misalignment.

By the way, I sometimes align my own cars by using a laser-equipped straightedge laid against the sidewall in a similar manner. It's pretty accurate.

You can get rough idea of a camber problem by looking straight down on the tire from above. However, I think you have a toe issue because you say both rear tires look the same, which would be typical of a toe problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I sometimes align my own cars by using a laser-equipped straightedge laid against the sidewall in a similar manner. It's pretty accurate.
Thanks for the advice, I've heard this before, and after talking a look at the rear tires with a good straight edge they are both toed in, one more than the other. Sight line closer to the rear doors.
Inside of the rear tires actually has reasonable tread left, but know the outside are done.

·
Registered
573 Posts
... I actually saw AJ Foyt get out of his car and do it in the middle of the 500 after "whitewalling" his right side....
Was it the same race where he was banging on his transmission?
Then there was the 500 when he threw the laptop after his engineers said that the car should have gas in it, but yet, it didn't...
That man is badass... My childhood hero, he raced dang near anything, and won.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On a recent trip to the airport, I passed two cars that each had a rear wheel that was more horizontal than vertical in terms of alignment. I wondered to myself how someone drives a car like that and doesn't notice...

You (and others) are lucky this didn't lead to an awful accident! I was expecting to see images of a bald line down the middle of your tire tread (caused by over inflation) or symmetric wear spots on the outsides of the tire tread (from under inflation). Definitely significantly out of alignment. Get new tires, then an alignment.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Was it the same race where he was banging on his transmission?
Then there was the 500 when he threw the laptop after his engineers said that the car should have gas in it, but yet, it didn't...
That man is badass... My childhood hero, he raced dang near anything, and won.
Haha. Yes, I think so.

I lived in Indianapolis for a while. Indy is to racing what Hollywood is to movies.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I've heard this before, and after talking a look at the rear tires with a good straight edge they are both toed in, one more than the other. Sight line closer to the rear doors.
Inside of the rear tires actually has reasonable tread left, but know the outside are done.
(y)

Sounds like you are on the right track!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Haha. Yes, I think so.

I lived in Indianapolis for a while. Indy is to racing what Hollywood is to movies.
I go to the 500 every year, started on and off in 1987, and haven't missed a year since 2007. (well, haven't missed a year where we were allowed to attend...) Bus group from Pittsburgh Friday - Monday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate all the responses, and glad to see so many non XC60 owner posts here. Like me browsing and searching the other model forums sometimes provides your answer.
Having some Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06 Plus rubber getting mounted this weekend and alignment.

Really do like the stance from behind with the 275's but will stick with the 255's I have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts