SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 C70 but I think this applies to most FWD Volvos. The rear camber seems excessive and actually, I don't know what the advantage of this is. Especially since it's my wife's car and she drives the interstate to work & home. There is no hard cornering involved. But anyway, I am having to rotate the tires every 5,000 miles because of inside wear on the rear tires. I think this is ridiculous. Is there anything I can do to help this situation?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Volvo is well aware of the issue of too much rear camber.
Causing inside of rear tires to wear out.
Volvo only part.
It is a part replacement for camber.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the REAR I'm talking about, not the front, but thanks. And it looks like IPD does not have the offset rear camber bushing for my 2009 C70. Now what to do?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I don't fully understand is if there is no adjustment for the rear camber, (other than offset bushings which Volvo doesn't sell), then why even bother checking it? I have called Volvo and they say "bring it in and we'll do an alignment on it." I'm thinking "Why? So you can tell me there's nothing that can be done?"

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
look at the s40/v50 section but there are aftermarket adjustable control arms or a control arm from volvo you put on to reduce the negative camber, info is found on TJ 15309

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks. I just got off the phone with IPD and they said as of now, they do not have a fix for the excessive problem on the C70. So, I am stuck with taking it to Volvo. He said they will either replace the control arm bushings or replace the control arms. Which, if I am understanding what I am finding out, neither will correct the excessive camber problem because that's the way the car was built. Putting new parts on it will only bring it to new specs, which are bad. This is frustrating.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
wow!

the new volvo control arm is updated to fix this problem. there is a bulletin on it:
PRODUCT MODIFICATION:
A control has been made available as a service part in order to correct excessive rear camber. See Photo 1
in the attachment. The control arm has a bushing offset of 2.5 mm (approx 0.1") which will make the
camber angle 0.7 degrees less negative. For example, if the camber angle of one rear wheel was initially -
2.6 degrees, it will be -1.9 degrees after the installation of the control arm on that side.
Note: A new cross member for the rear suspension was introduced in production from 2012 week 14, the
attachment points for the upper control arms were moved outwards 1 mm which reduce the negative
camber angle of 0.3 degrees.
SERVICE:
If the rear camber is still high after correcting the toe-in as good as possible, then it may be necessary to
replace the upper control arm with a special service part.
 1. First perform a wheel alignment test and correct the rear toe-in, if necessary.
Note! Perform the wheel alignment with an unloaded car. A heavy car will result in higher negative camber
due to lower ride-height.
 2. If the rear camber is much more negative on one side, for instance -2.8 degrees or more
negative, first check and correct all rear suspension parts for possible impact damages, etc. Also,
check the bushings on the original upper control arm. It is important that all involved suspension
parts are OK before the service part is installed.
 3. If the rear camber is still high after correcting the toe-in, then replace the upper control arm with
the service part.
 4. After installation is complete, re-check alignment.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info garbergtsi. I'll take that with me. What is the number of that service bulletin? Is all of this in the 15309?

·
Registered
649 Posts
hi guys
very interested in this thread (and Banjo Bud's other thread in the C70 forum) after putting on my winter setup this weekend.

After noticing that two of my regular all-season tires are substantially worn on the inside tread, I went to a trusted shop for an alignment. Sure enough, the toe was off on the right side, front and rear. But, the shop was concerned over the rear camber, with the left side at -2.7 and the right at -2.3. According to my shop, -2.7 is the absolute max under the specs. The shop noted that this much negative camber will certainly wear out the inside treads on both sides.

After getting home, I checked the other two tires and they are definitely more worn on the inside, though not as immediately noticeable as the right side ones (where the toe was off).

So, has anyone gotten a dealer to install the control arm fix on a C70, C30 or S40?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts