SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my experience with getting a rear sway bar for my 2017 XC60 B4204T11.

I saw that almost all people in the US are using IPD sway bars but they are not directly available here in Australia and freight is pretty costly. Hardrace gear is available here and I thought I would try one out. The specs are diameter = 25.4mm (1") with a heat-treated, tubular construction. As others note the OE diameter is 21mm. www.hardracesuspension.com.au/rear-sway-bar~1333.

The delivered price was A$375 = US$290.

The first photo shows a comparison between the OE and the Hardrace, the second the stand positions once the vehicle was jacked up until the rear wheels were off the ground (required to enable fitting) and the last the fitted bar.

Impressions? This upgrade has made a significant difference with the rear end now feeling tighter and not prone to that jittery rear end feeling when you are travelling at higher speeds and encounter uneven road surfaces. It also has reduced body roll in the twisty stuff. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

HR1.jpg
HR2.jpg
HR3.jpg

·
Registered
731 Posts
You are going to need to upgrade your links, as the stiffer/higher performance sway bars bend them.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
You are going to need to upgrade your links, as the stiffer/higher performance sway bars bend them.
Or in the least, they will cause the stock ones to fail quick.

Reactions: BluRock

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you change the links, dont bother with HD stuff....get the OEM polestar ones.

Reactions: BluRock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or in the least, they will cause the stock ones to fail quick.
I did notice that the stock links look a bit puny. I was contemplating upgrading them to these items Hardrace suspension but I'd be interested in hearing about others' experiences. I see that it is popular to swap out the std rubber end link bushes for polyurethane items. Has anyone had premature failure of stock end links following an upgrade to a beefier RSB?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Mine didn’t survive the process of swapping the sway bar. I was glad I had a set on hand.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I did notice that the stock links look a bit puny. I was contemplating upgrading them to these items Hardrace suspension but I'd be interested in hearing about others' experiences. I see that it is popular to swap out the std rubber end link bushes for polyurethane items. Has anyone had premature failure of stock end links following an upgrade to a beefier RSB?
I bought the car with 6500 miles (age is the current factor)

this is what the rubber looked like when I replaced them. Went with Mahle 90 degree from the stick type along with Elevate rear bar due to having grease zerks. Mahle use upgraded materials including the thermoplastic boots. Make sure the nuts are goodenheit as you will hear a clunk/pop while driving and you’ll be searching for that fix and everyone on here will offer you a “fix” and you’ll be chasing your tail. The pic above is literally from age, use and exposure to the elements will yield the same results. A stiffer bar will hasten these results.

Reactions: BUCHO and BluRock
1 - 7 of 7 Posts