SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I'm posting a lot of stuff here... Anyways...

My 09 T5 had a broken passenger rear coil spring. I ordered replacements based on the chassis code (rear coil code #29) and the ride height is considerably higher in the rear. I used part number 30748382.

Is this normal and mine were sagging? Or did I maybe get the wrong springs?

Before and after attached.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
They do tend to sag a little over time, but your before picture doesn't look that bad. New springs do take some time to settle in. But, maybe only 0.25"-0.5". The rear of your car does look abnormally high.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Rears about how they sit new. Fronts a little crushed. You need lowering springs to get anywhere near to an acceptable wheel gap on these cars

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, guessed I boxed myself into maybe new stock springs for the front, or lowering springs all around... Which I'm not crazy about with roads being what they are around here.

Shame, I really liked the height of the car before, but that was also before I realized I had a broken coil...

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Thanks guys, guessed I boxed myself into maybe new stock springs for the front, or lowering springs all around... Which I'm not crazy about with roads being what they are around here.

Shame, I really liked the height of the car before, but that was also before I realized I had a broken coil...

H&R lowering springs are a tad softer actually so your ride would improve. About $230 a set.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are the pictures in order ? The one at the parking lot is before and on the driveway is after ?

17" wheels ?

See this, click on the pic and compare. The fender gap looked weird on these cars when new, some seem to have a big gap, others looks like a suspension drop. Wheels size does matter, but still.... https://www.cars.com/research/volvo-s60-2009/

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Each of the three times I have replaced my springs (like for like) I’ve had a heart attack from the higher rear end. It does take a couple of rides for them to settle in.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my S60 T5 2007.

Hello!
I live in Sweden and this is my first post in this forum. I searched the web to see if anyone ells had the same problem as I am. The man at the yearly car inspection we have here in our country saw I had a broken rear spring on the left side and the right side was also suspect. As I always do my service on a VOLVO workshop I let them do the shifting to new springs. They have the same number as the ones you had replaced, 30748382.

Now the rear end is extremely higher than before, plus I noticed the car is very strange to stear, it is more heavier to turn the steering wheel, it is like the front wheels is grabbing to something and make it harder.

I think I must call the workshop on monday morning and they must look at the car and whats wrong with it. One older man at my work who knows much about cars said it looked very strange and the car can be very heavy on the front and light at the back with this kind of arrangement.

Did your car get lower at the rear after some weeks or is it the same now also? My car looks like a dive bomber from World War 2!

Om my car the old springs was all blue, did VOLVO put on some blue springs from factory that was lower on a T5 model and maybe now I got wrong springs. Even if the springs was broken I dont think it can have made so much difference in ride height. When I bought the car in 2011 the height in the rear was almost as it was before I changed the springs.

I am grateful for some good inputs on this problem!

//Mikael

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
Its a FWD and I had a call with the chief mechanic on the workshop that something just must be wrong with these new springs. Well he would look into it and today he phoned back and said he had been in contact with VOLVO "headquarter" and there is two more kinds of springs under the code 29 in the 12 digit "chassicode". Number 29 is my number that tells what kind of spring I should have and part number 30748382 is wrong for my S60 T5. Well they will put in right kind of springs next week and that feels really good. I think they dont do these swaps so often so they dont learn how it should be. Maybe someone ells will have a little help with same problem!? Thanks! Mikael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts