SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any ever replaced one of these rear sway/control arms?
If so is there a video or instructions you could point me to and a link to where I could purchase a stronger higher quality one than the stock bar?
Also, how do I attach images to this new forum?

https://ibb.co/8zJGDv3

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
S60R or V70R stock factory rear bars are a very nice upgrade.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
IPD has instructions you can pull from their site for installing their rear sways. I'm going to give it a go this week and can let you know how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IPD has instructions you can pull from their site for installing their rear sways. I'm going to give it a go this week and can let you know how it goes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Hi Larry,take lots of pics when you do the install if you don't mind. Also do you have a link to where you bought your bar?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi Larry,take lots of pics when you do the install if you don't mind. Also do you have a link to where you bought your bar?
I will take some pics this week, will likely take me two nights. Can't start playing with cars until after the kids go to sleep. I bought mine off Craigslist, a friend tipped me off to a barely used set of front and rears off an 07 S60R. Rear measures at 23.6mm, much better than the 14.5mm that comes on the XC70.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Scottishbrick for the link, but when I checked to see if it will fit a 2002 XC70, it came up that it would not fit.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Thanks Scottishbrick for the link, but when I checked to see if it will fit a 2002 XC70, it came up that it would not fit.
Well because it’s not factory equipment. It’s been done many many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well because it’s not factory equipment. It’s been done many many times.
When replacing the 14 mm thin rear sway bar (comes with a regular shocks, not Nivomats) be prepared for horrific oversteer feel compared to stock, plus the ride is much harsher.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
When replacing the 14 mm thin rear sway bar (comes with a regular shocks, not Nivomats) be prepared for horrific oversteer feel compared to stock, plus the ride is much harsher.
You must be joking.

XC70 with R rear bars still under steer it’s just way closer to neutral than factory. There is no discernible change in ride quality either. Speaking from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You must be joking.

XC70 with R rear bars still under steer it’s just way closer to neutral than factory. There is no discernible change in ride quality either. Speaking from experience.
I said "oversteer feel" :) Indeed it is still not as good as even in Ford Focus. But it's understandable: heavy chassis, long travel suspension...

Btw, I also have XC90 bar in front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I said "oversteer feel" :) Indeed it is still not as good as even in Ford Focus. But it's understandable: heavy chassis, long travel suspension...

Btw, I also have XC90 bar in front.
Thanks everyone for all your help and wisdom! So the link ScottishBrick sent : https://www.volvopartscounter.com/oem-parts/volvo-stabilizer-bar-8672168 is for the OEM stock replacement bar, does anyone have any info as to a better bar (solid) with the same dia.?
I found a stock one here : https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-suspension-stabilizer-bar-link-kit-v70-8630547#fitment. the stock bar PN is 8630547 $286.008630547 $286.00 from Volvo Halifax.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Finished the install this morning. Getting the lower shock back on is a bear, two man operation for sure. The rest is pretty straightforward, unbolt crap, replace old bar with new, bolt things back together. The ride is much better now...dare I say XC70 Sportwagen? Don't get me wrong, it's still a big heavy wagon that's high in the air, but the tail end stays much more planted through the corners.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Finished the install this morning. Getting the lower shock back on is a bear, two man operation for sure. The rest is pretty straightforward, unbolt crap, replace old bar with new, bolt things back together. The ride is much better now...dare I say XC70 Sportwagen? Don't get me wrong, it's still a big heavy wagon that's high in the air, but the tail end stays much more planted through the corners.
There's a trick to the rear shock to get the control arm extended enough to mount it using the emergency jack.

Also, deep socket with long torx extension. Grip the OD of of the socket with channel locks.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
There's a trick to the rear shock to get the control arm extended enough to mount it using the emergency jack.

Also, deep socket with long torx extension. Grip the OD of of the socket with channel locks.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
Nice! I was trying to think of a way to push the control arm down so that it would stay down and in place....great solution.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Larry, others, I see the S60R rear bar is 23.6, Assuming the V70R is the same??
what is the front bar diameter with the S60R and from the XC90 for comparison?
This is my next project, have been looking at the IPD kit which has a 25mm front bar and 22 rear of which are to be better material than the stock bars.
It would be interesting to compare the other stock bar diameters available before I pull the trigger.

Thank You

1 - 20 of 29 Posts