SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any answers to my question else where.

So I'm wanting to get something that I (6'3") can lay down in/have one saint Bernard and a med sized dog in the back as well. Maybe two people and the two dogs?

The purpose is camping or general traveling with my fur kids, they are too big for my s60r rear seat. Just want to get a feel for sizing in the rear with the seat up and with the seat down.

·
Registered
921 Posts
V70 or XC70 is great for that. Just make sure to get one with the cargo net that rolls up into the back seats. Not all 70s have it, but it was available in all 2001-07 models, as well as 850s and 1998-00 V70s. It looks like this.

It can be unrolled and mounted either with the seats folded down, or folded up, so it's super useful for hauling a bunch of stuff, or just when you throw the dogs in the back and leave the seats folded up.

For sleeping in the back, I'd recommend getting two 4" thick foam sleeping pads at a department store, then cutting them down to fit around the rear wheel wells. Make the fit pretty tight so they press firmly together in the center of the car, so there's a seam down the middle of the sleeping area. Basically, each pad is cut into a large "C", back to back like this: ][ so that they cover the entire sleeping area. I made these for sleeping in my 240 and still use them in my V70. Then in the morning you just roll your bedding up behind the drivers seat and repack your car with your camping gear (which you can store in the front seats or outside overnight).

A Yakima box on the roof helps a lot with having enough space to do this, so look for a V70 that comes with roof rails and cross bars - not all of them did, but most XC70s did. Factory roof rails look like this, then you need the factory cross bars that go with them. Or you can install yakima or thule racks like this if you want a smooth roof most of the time.

I dunno about 6' 3" though - I believe the sleeping room in the back is closer to 6' 0". But by the time you lay down a sleeping pad and pillows you will have a little extra room at the front end where the seats are, but it won't be a totally flat 6' 3". If you sleep on your side it shouldn't be a problem, but if you sleep on your back you might feel cramped.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm 6'3". It's doable. Not comfortable but not uncomfortable either. Put a roof tent on it?!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just measured my V70. From the hatch to the cargo net with the rear seats folded is 5'4". From the hatch to the back of the passenger seat positioned as far forward as it will go is 6'10". So you could lie down if you remove the rear seat bottoms and fill in the space to support the mattress

BTW I also found that the width of the hatch opening is 45" and the height is 30"

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah I mean I've wondered the same thing. Interestingly enough right after I posted that IPDs "end of summer sale" email arrived in my inbox and what did it have pictured but a volvo with an awesome roof tent! I've also seem a few on expedition portal.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Not a lot of people know but there are also two little levers on the bottom of the seatbacks that allow you to fold the front seats forward. That can get you another few inches of head or foot room depending on what you use to sleep on.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of good information here. Maybe the roof limit is the actual roof, not the side supports.But most roof tents are one person anyways so the 210 doesn't sound so unreasonable?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I can tell you a Newfoundland + medium dog and a person would pretty much fit just fine with the rear seats down. Might not be able to stretch out 100% but it's doable. Want me to get pictures/dimensions?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Aztecs are now considered cool.
Millinenials seem to want them

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
We do? I'd almost rather get run over by one than drive it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts